Energy Conservation Plan December 2007
The Angelo State University Energy Savings Update is being submitted in accordance with Governor’s Executive Order, RP 49, Energy Conservation by State Agencies.
Campus Energy Use
- Energy units are converted to kBtu to allow for comparisons of electricity and natural gas usage. Goals and energy use are then stated in kBtu/sq ft. Estimated savings are based on energy consumption for the same time period from the previous year normalized to current energy costs and campus square footage.
- In the fiscal year for 2007 the entire campus used 104.6 kBtu/Sq Ft. That was a decrease of 7% from the previous year with an estimated savings of $326,336.74.
- In Table I, the campus energy use is broken down by utility type. The percent change column is the energy usage change from fiscal year 2006 to 2007.
Table I: Campus Energy Use (kBtu/Sq ft): FY2006-FY2007 Utility FY06 FY07 % Change Est. Savings Electricity 71.3056 65.1068 Down 8.69% $ 294,829.07 Nat. Gas 41.1805 39.5226 Down 4.03% $ 31,507.67 Total 112.4861 104.6294 Down 6.98% $ 326,336.74
- In FY2006 the Angelo State University vehicle fleet consumed 20,574 gallons of fuel and traveled 243,988 miles. In FY2007 Angelo State University consumed 23,253 gallons of fuel and traveled 269,346. This represented a 2.4% decrease in the fuel efficiency of the fleet bringing the miles per gallon to 11.58.
- Angelo State University had previously been at 11.86 miles per gallon the previous year and acknowledges the decrease. It is felt that the acquisition of an off site sports complex figured significantly into the drop. The large truck that was used to constantly transport grounds equipment to that facility and the off site agricultural management, instruction and research center was one of the oldest vehicles on the fleet. A new 1 ton vehicle has been purchased at started use in November 2007 to hopefully correct that issue.
- While the miles per gallon did decrease from FY2006 to FY2007, the cost of driving those miles did not increase. The cost of the miles driven in each year stayed constant at $0.2108 per mile.
Table II: Fleet Vehicle Usage: FY2006 & FY2007 Vehicles Number Miles Gallons Cost Cost Per
FY2006 58 243,988 20,574 $51,431.81 $0.2108 11.8590 FY2007 61 269,346 23,253 $56,768.01 $0.2108 11.5831
- Campus Energy Use
Current Energy Reduction Plans
Campus Energy Use
- Continue the various upgrades/replacements to air handlers, electrical equipment and items at the central plant as according to the performance contract Angelo State University has with Tour Andover Controls (TAC). This is a $13 million dollar energy savings project for the university that is to be paid over the next 15 years with the money saved from the improvements. The installations started in late 2006 and are now scheduled to be completed by August 2008.
- TAC has already finished retro fitting the outdoor lighting and building lighting across campus to more efficient fixtures and bulbs. They replaced faucets, showers, and toilets to low flow models. They also replaced some of the boilers and chillers for the central plant. These changes are showing significant reductions in our usages.
- Improve overall fuel efficiency of fleet vehicles by replacing older, inefficient vehicles with newer, more efficient vehicles. By the end of FY2007, Angelo State University acquired five new, more efficient vehicles bringing the total of vehicles that are 6 years old or newer to 30% of the entire fleet.
- Continue the aggressive Preventative Maintenance program to maintain all vehicles at their peak efficiency. In June of 2007 the on site garage was closed and all maintenance was taken off site to be performed by local vendors. It was determined to be more efficient both fiscally and timely to use commercial repair centers than in house due to the equipment and certification needed. After 5 months of having this in place it has become noticeable by the amount of open work orders that the vehicles are being serviced in a timelier manner.
- Continue to utilize the State’s Fleet Data Management System. The Fleet Management office will continue to use the Fleet Focus database to monitor vehicle utilization, efficiency, maintenance and accuracy of vehicle reporting. Any discrepancies will immediately be addressed with appropriate vehicle custodians.
- Educate personnel on the efficient use of University vehicles. The Fleet Management office has informed all vehicle custodians of Governor Perry’s Executive Order and the university’s established goal of 12 mpg.
- Continue to utilize electric carts when possible. Angelo State University has 29 of the 48-volt carts for use by facilities technicians. There are 9 other carts that are used across campus by various departments to cut down on the use of the fleet vehicles.
- Campus Energy Use
Future Energy Reduction Plans
- Continue gathering data and write a proposal on the efficiencies of installing wind turbines at Angelo State University’s Management, Instruction and Research Center to lower the costs of electricity.
- Begin gathering data on the use of roof top solar cells for lowering the costs of electricity.
- The continued infrastructure improvements under the performance contract with TAC.
Fuel Consumption Reduction Plans
- The Fleet Management office will network with vehicle custodians to exchange information on vehicle efficiency and solicit additional best practices and other creative initiatives to improve the efficiency of the university vehicle fleet.
- For all parties to encourage facility technicians and other departments to use electric carts when at all possible.
- The Fleet Management office will continue to use off site shops to keep the vehicles in the best condition possible to increase fuel efficiency.
- When funds are available acquire new vehicles and dispose of older less efficient ones.