Dr. Karen Cody
|10 a.m - 11 a.m; 2 p.m - 3 p.m||10 a.m - 11 a.m; 1 p.m - 2 p.m||10 a.m - 11 a.m; 2 p.m - 3 p.m||10 a.m - 11 a.m; 1 p.m - 2 p.m||10 a.m - 11 a.m; 2 p.m - 3 p.m|
- Ph.D., French, University of Texas at Austin
- M.A., French, University of Texas at Austin
- B.A., French and Spanish with Teacher Certification, Texas Christian University
- to appear: “Texas Spanish: Language Variety, Dialect, Creole, Mixed Code: Some Evidence about the Lexicon,” 2008 Language Issues Monograph Series, NAAAS/NAHLS.
- “Sabina Berman” Latin American Writers: An Encyclopedia, edited by María Claudia André and Eva Paulino Bueno. New York: Routledge, 2009 (with Maria R. Matz)
- “Multiple metaphors: Teaching tense and aspect to English-speakers,” Texas Papers in Foreign Language Education (TPFLE), Fall 2000: Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 111-128. Austin, TX.
- “Texas Spanish: Language use and ethnic identity in bilingual speakers,” 2000 Language Issues Monograph Series, NAAAS/NAHLS, pp. 29-40.
Conference Presentations and Invited Lectures:
“Ethnic identity in bilingual speakers: a case study of Québécois in Montréal” (presented in French), Association of French Language Studies (AFLS) Symposium, Oxford, England, 3-5 September, 2008.
“Texas Spanish: Language Variety, Dialect, Creole, Mixed Code: Some Evidence about the Lexicon,” (presented in Spanish), National Association of Hispanic and Latino Studies (NAHLS) National Conference, Baton Rouge, LA, 11-16 February, 2008.
“What does it mean to ‘Know’ a language?” Honors Program Luncheon Lecture Series, Angelo State University, 13 September, 2007.
“The TExES, a methods class, and NCATE,” TACULS, Abilene Christian University, September 2006.
“Language choice, language attitudes and ethnic identity in bilingual speakers: A case study of Québécois in Montréal”, Colloque international sur les variétés de français du Canada, Kingston, Ontario, 5-8 June, 2006
“Can winning a trophy in high school ‘translate’ to university language study?” LASSO XXXIV, Lubbock, TX, 7-9 October, 2005
“Negotiating identity–the role of language”, Latina Letters: Conference on Latina literature and identity, San Antonio, Texas, 14-16 July, 2005.
“North-side vs. West-side: Variation in Mexican American identity in San Antonio, Texas–the role of language”. LASSO XXXIII, New Orleans, LA, 9-12 September, 2004.
“Negotiating identity,” LASSO XXXII, Edinburg, Texas, 17-19 October, 2003.
“Special Topics Classes: Bilingual Endorsement,” TACULS, Abilene Christian University, 6 September, 2003.
“Texas Spanish”, Southwest Studies class, ASU, 25 October 2002.
“The language of minorities in the Americas: Language and ethnic identity in bilingual speakers- a case study comparing Quçbçcois in Montrçal and Texas Spanish in San Antonio,” LASSO XXIX, Puebla, Mexico, 13-15 October, 2000.
“Multiple metaphors: Teaching tense/aspect to English-speakers,” TexFLEC 2000, The University of Texas at Austin, 31 March-1 April, 2000.
“Texas Spanish: Some evidence about the lexicon,” Tenth Colloquium on Hispanic & Luso-Brazilian Literatures and Romance Languages, The University of Texas at Austin, 3-4 March, 2000: proceedings forthcoming.
“Texas Spanish: Language use and ethnic identity in bilingual speakers,” National Association of Hispanic and Latino Studies National Conference, Houston, TX, 21-26 February, 2000.