Dr. Karen Cody
- Ph.D., French, Romance Linguistics, University of Texas at Austin
- M.A., French, Romance Linguistics, University of Texas at Austin
- B.A., French and Spanish with Teacher Certification, Texas Christian University
- “Teaching Literature and Culture in Today’s Foreign Language Classroom”, with Matz, María, Rondas Literarias, Martín, Gregorio C. (ed.), Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, 2011.
- “Ethnic identity in bilingual speakers: a case study of Québécois in Montréal,” in Les Voix des Français, Volume 2, en parlant, en écrivant, Modern French Identities Volume 94,Abecassis, Michaël and Ledegen, Gudrun (eds), Peter Lang, 2010.
- “Sabina Berman.” Latin American Writers: An Encyclopedia, edited by María Claudia André and Eva Paulino Bueno. New York: Routledge, 2009 (with Maria R. Matz).
- “Texas Spanish: Language Variety, Dialect, Creole, Mixed Code: Some Evidence about the Lexicon,” 2008 Language Issues Monograph Series, NAAAS/NAHLS.
- “Multiple Metaphors: Teaching tense and aspect to English-speakers,” Texas Papers in Foreign Language Education (TPFLE), Fall 2000: Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 111-128. Austin, TX.
- “Texas Spanish: Language use and ethnic identity in bilingual speakers,” 2000 Language Issues Monograph Series, NAAAS/NAHLS, pp. 29-40.
Selected Conference Presentations and Invited Lectures:
(Socio)Linguistic analysis of a most uncommon Concierge in the film adaptation of Muriel Barbery’s L’Élégance du hérisson, 69th Annual convention of the Rocky Mountain Modern Language Association, Santa Fe, New Mexico, October 8-10, 2015.
“Motivate Students to Succeed in Second Language Learning: Teach effective learning strategies in order to increase learner motivation/metalinguistic awareness/autonomy”; 4th Annual Applied Linguistics and Second Language Teaching/Learning Conference; Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX; 10-11 April 2015.
“Language and Power”, presentation for University of Massachusetts at Lowell Study Abroad students in Lisbon, Portugal, November 2013.
“Teaching Literature and Culture in Today’s Foreign Language Classroom”, with Matz, María. 23rd Annual Pennsylvania Foreign Language Conference, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA, 24-25 September 2010.
“Linguistics of Slavic Languages”, presentation for Russian Culture Club, Angelo State University, 16 November, 2010.
“Effective Strategies for Learning a Foreign Language”, SMART workshop, Angelo State University, multiple on-going presentations beginning 12 October 2010.
“Why Should I Study a Foreign Language Anyway?”, SMART workshop, Angelo State University, multiple on-going presentations beginning 30 September 2010.
“Ethnic identity in bilingual speakers: a case study of Québécois in Montréal” (presented in French), Association of French Language Studies (AFLS) Symposium, Oxford, England, 3-5 September, 2008.
“Texas Spanish: Language Variety, Dialect, Creole, Mixed Code: Some Evidence about the Lexicon,” (presented in Spanish), National Association of Hispanic and Latino Studies (NAHLS) National Conference, Baton Rouge, LA, 11-16 February, 2008.
“What does it mean to ‘Know’ a language?” Honors Program Luncheon Lecture Series, Angelo State University, 13 September, 2007.
“The TExES, a methods class, and NCATE,” TACULS, Abilene Christian University, September 2006.
“Language choice, language attitudes and ethnic identity in bilingual speakers: A case study of Québécois in Montréal”, Colloque international sur les variétés de français du Canada, Kingston, Ontario, 5-8 June, 2006
“Can winning a trophy in high school ‘translate’ to university language study?” LASSO XXXIV, Lubbock, TX, 7-9 October, 2005
“Negotiating identity–the role of language”, Latina Letters: Conference on Latina literature and identity, San Antonio, Texas, 14-16 July, 2005.
“North-side vs. West-side: Variation in Mexican American identity in San Antonio, Texas–the role of language”. LASSO XXXIII, New Orleans, LA, 9-12 September, 2004.
“Negotiating identity,” LASSO XXXII, Edinburg, Texas, 17-19 October, 2003.
“Special Topics Classes: Bilingual Endorsement,” TACULS, Abilene Christian University, 6 September, 2003.
“Texas Spanish”, Southwest Studies class, ASU, 25 October 2002.
“The language of minorities in the Americas: Language and ethnic identity in bilingual speakers- a case study comparing Quçbçcois in Montrçal and Texas Spanish in San Antonio,” LASSO XXIX, Puebla, Mexico, 13-15 October, 2000.
“Multiple metaphors: Teaching tense/aspect to English-speakers,” TexFLEC 2000, The University of Texas at Austin, 31 March-1 April, 2000.
“Texas Spanish: Some evidence about the lexicon,” Tenth Colloquium on Hispanic & Luso-Brazilian Literatures and Romance Languages, The University of Texas at Austin, 3-4 March, 2000: proceedings forthcoming.
“Texas Spanish: Language use and ethnic identity in bilingual speakers,” National Association of Hispanic and Latino Studies National Conference, Houston, TX, 21-26 February, 2000.