Using strong passwords is important to help you keep your information safe. A good password is one that is easy for you to remember but difficult for others to determine by guessing or by using automated programs.
- Do use at least 8 characters in your password, but more is better.
- Do use a variety of characters in your password including letters, punctuation, symbols, and numbers.
- Do change your passwords often.
- Do not use the same password for all of your accounts.
- Do not use common words or phrases.
- Do not use common letter-to-symbol conversions, such as changing “and” to “&” or “to” to “2.”
- Do not share your passwords in email, instant messages, or over the phone.
- Do not include your name or username in your password.
How strong is your password?
If you need help coming up with a password or are unsure of how strong yours is, there are many online tools to help you such as:
- How secure is my password - estimates how long it would take to crack your password
- safepasswd.com - password generator for a strong secure memorable password
One of the best ways to ensure that your passwords are unique and strong is to use a password manager. There are many free and paid options available such as: