Teaching of Psychology Certificate
This certificate is designed for students who want to teach psychology at the college level.
Many community colleges and universities hire instructors for part-time and full-time positions to teach introductory psychology courses. Generally, instructors are only required to have a master’s degree and 18 graduate hours in psychology. However most students do not have the opportunity to gain teaching skills that will make them competitive to obtain an instructor position from master’s-level training.
This certificate allows students to gain teaching skills from our teaching of psychology course along with a course in educational psychology that will help prepare them to be instructors.
In addition, students need to have a basic foundation in all areas of psychology, and a strong foundation in the areas of developmental and social psychology, as these are areas that someone with a master’s degree would be likely to teach.
Completion of this certificate does not satisfy requirements to obtain teacher certification at the secondary level.
Students who want to teach psychology at the college level will benefit most from this program.
All required courses are offered in an online format.
All our courses in this certificate are taught by ASU faculty with doctoral degrees.
Students have the opportunity to work closely with faculty members on research.
Students can tailor the program to their needs and take courses that suit their career goals.
Students who have a cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher automatically qualify for admission, if space in the program allows. If your GPA is below a 3.0, the GRE is required.
- All college and university transcripts
- Hold a bachelor’s degree. Students who have a cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher automatically qualify for admission, if space in the program allows.
- Students who have fewer than 18 credit hours of undergraduate psychology are required to complete a graduate leveling course that provides training in the foundational areas of psychology.
Required courses include:
- PSY 6302 Core Concepts in Psychological Science
- PSY 6303 Social Psychology
- PSY 6338 Educational Psychology
- PSY 6347 Developmental Psychology
- PSY 6361 Teaching of Psychology