ASU Angelettes Dance Team
The Angelettes are the official Angelo State University Dance Team. They can be seen at home football and basketball games and at specially sanctioned university events. Members of the Angelettes receive scholarships that increase annually for dancers who are invited to return – based on positive history in the organization and audition results – for the next school year. Any current or incoming female student is welcome to audition.
- Incoming freshmen or transfer students must be accepted to ASU PRIOR to auditioning.
- If you have accumulated college credits, you must have a grade point average of 2.0 or better on a 4.0 scale.
- Candidates already attending ASU must be full-time students (12+ semester credit hours), hold a minimum GPA of 2.0, and must be in good standing with the university.
- Extensive dance background
Students selected for the Angelettes Dance Team may receive a participation scholarship. To qualify, members must have a minimum GPA of 2.25.
ASU Angelettes Dance Team Tryouts!
Where: Ben Kelly Center for Human Performance
Dance Studio, Room 202
When: April 30th 5pm-9pm, Mandatory Dance Clinic
May 1st 9am-1pm, Tryouts
Bring: Current copy of health insurance
Completed Audition Application form
Nonrefundable $40 application fee
Audition Attire (for both days)
- Black Hot Shorts (may wear tan tights)
- Solid Black Tank Top (small logos are acceptable, no embellishments)
- No Embellishments on top or bottoms allowed
- Hair Down and Fixed (Bangs do NOT need to be pulled back)
- Full Performance Make-Up (this includes a nice shade of Red Lipstick and lip liner)
- Jazz Shoes (cannot dance bare foot, color of shoe does not matter)
- Nail Polish should be clear, French or American manicured
- No Jewelry allowed, except for rhinestone earrings
- No Tattoos Showing (please cover them with appropriate makeup)
Dance Clinic, April 30th:
- Candidates will be given a short warm-up exercise.
- Candidates will have time to practice technique that is performed at tryouts.
- Technique will include: Fouettes (on right side), Leaps, Double Pirouettes, Calypsos, Russians, Kicks, Turning Disc & Splits.
- Candidates will learn a routine that will incorporate technical skill and dance movement. This routine will be performed on May 1st.
Auditions: May 1st, 2016
- Candidates will go across the floor to demonstrate technical skills.
- Candidates will then perform the routine learned at clinic.
- Candidates will be asked a series of interview questions by the judging panel. At this time we will be looking for personality traits conducive to being a successful member of the Angelettes team.
The 2016-2017 Angelettes will be posted on the front of the audition building and on our facebook page!
New Team Meeting
A mandatory meeting with the newly selected 2016-2017 Angelettes Team will be held directly following auditions. This will be to discuss upcoming summer events and expectations for the new season. The meeting place will be announced at the same time as the results are posted.
If you are unable to attend the audition you may submit a video audition. Interested candidates must submit a dance routine via DVD. Please carefully consider the angle and quality of the recording.
Videos should include:
- An original piece of choreography at least 60 seconds in length, but not exceeding two minutes.
- A segment of the candidate executing the following basic dance techniques:
Double Pirouettes on the right and left sides;
Grand Jetes on the right and left sides;
Calypso Leaps an the right and left sides;
Right Fouette Turns;
Splits on the right and left sides;
Optional: ONE advanced technical element
- Interview Questions. Please read and answer the following questions:
What is your dance background?
What qualities make you an outstanding candidate for the
What do you think makes you an exciting performer to watch?
What measures will you take throughout the semester to
ensure you continue to meet the minimum GPA
What are your dance goals?
- Attire for a video audition is the same as the live audition.
**Deadline: To receive full consideration, audition packets must be postmarked by April 20th, 2016. Please mail your complete audition packet (DVD, completed Audition Application form, copy of unofficial college transcript (if applicable) and $40 Application Fee) to:
Mrs. Kasey Heintzelman, Angelettes Coordinator
Department of Visual & Performing Arts
Attn: Angelettes Audition
Angelo State University
ASU Station 10906
San Angelo, Texas 76909-0906
For more information contact:
Mrs. Kasey Heintzelman
Dr. Constance L. Kelley,
Interim Director of Bands