Skip Navigation
Department of Visual and Performing Arts
Member, Texas Tech University System The Princeton Review - 373 Best Colleges, 2011 Edition


Current Students in Music


  • Advising


    Getting advised is an important part of your academic life. Each semester, you will meet with an advisor to review your current classes and plan for the upcoming semester.

    During your first two semesters on campus, you will meet with an advisor in the College of Arts and Sciences Advising (CASA) Center in Room 203 of the Carr Education-Fine Arts Building. After you have completed two semesters, your studio professor will advise you.

    In addition to your advising meetings each semester, you must schedule an appointment with the department head after you have completed 30 credit hours so you can file an official degree plan. This plan is filed in the department office and the College of Arts and Sciences office, and will allow the university to calculate your graduation requirements, date of graduation and additional information. Students may revise their official degree plan at any time. In the semester prior to the one in which they plan to graduate, students should also make an appointment with the department head to confirm their progress toward graduation.

    Advising Links

  • Scholarships


    • ASU Jazz Band Scholarships

      Jazz Band Scholarships are available to all qualified students (music or non-music majors). Interested students should contact Dr. Timothy Bonenfant, director of the ASU Jazz Ensemble.

    • ASU Piano Scholarships

      Piano Scholarships are awarded to talented students who are majoring in music. Student must be admitted to ASU to apply. Awards are distributed annually and may be renewed for up to four years.

    • ASU Band, Choir, and Orchestra Scholarships

      Band, Choir, and/or Orchestra Scholarships are available to any musically talented students, regardless of major, who wish to participate in the band, choir, or orchestra programs at ASU. These scholarships, awarded by the director of bands, director of choral activities, and orchestra director respectively, may be renewed for a total of four years. Students must be admitted to ASU to apply. Students should contact the director of bands, Dr. Daniel McCloud, director of choral activities, Dr. Pamela Lee, or Dr. Maurice Kelley, orchestra director, for information regarding application procedures. Students may receive both band and choir scholarships concurrently.

    • ASU F.A.M.E. Scholarships

      These scholarships are funded by the Angelo State University Friends of Art and Music Education (F.A.M.E.) and are available for students who wish to major in music. After being accepted for admission to ASU, incoming freshmen may apply for an ASU F.A.M.E. Scholarship. The ASU F.A.M.E. Board of Directors grants scholarship awards annually. These scholarships are based on set criteria and are renewable. The deadline date for applications is March 1. However, applications received up to June 1 may be considered if funds are still available.

    • Performing Arts Scholarships

      These annual scholarships are for music majors only and are renewable for a maximum of four years. Students who are gifted both musically and academically are eligible to apply. Priority will be given to students who are accepted for admission to the university and apply for the scholarship by April 1. However, applications received after that date may be considered if funds are still available.

  • Registering

    Registering For Classes

    Here are some resources to help you prepare for registration:

  • Ensembles

    ASU Performing Ensembles

    • Bands and Instrumental Ensembles

      Choirs and Opera/Music Theatre

      Marching Ram Band

      The Marching Ram Band heightens the competitive atmosphere at football games through a display of school spirit and entertaining performances. The Ram Band is the largest student organization on campus and offers its students the opportunity to develop life skills through teamwork and leadership, both on campus and beyond. In addition to performing at all home football games, the band generally travels to one away game each year.

      Regularly scheduled rehearsals are MWF 8:00-8:50 a.m. and TR 8:00-9:15 a.m.

      Wind Ensemble and Chamber Winds

      The Wind Ensemble is the premier instrumental performing ensemble at the university. It educates its members and audiences by performing music literature of the most renowned composers and arrangers.

      This auditioned ensemble presents four major concerts each year and often features faculty, student and guest soloists.

      The ASU Chamber Winds is dedicated to broadening the artistic level and interest of its members while performing music of artistic and historical significance. No audition is required.

      Woodwind Ensembles

      Woodwind ensembles at ASU are the Flute Choir and the Mesquite Trio.

      Jazz Ensemble

      Performance in the Jazz Ensemble is central to the jazz emphasis at ASU. Meeting three times a week, the Jazz Ensemble rehearses and performs a variety of jazz styles, including swing, be-bop, fusion and contemporary settings. Participation in this ensemble prepares students for performances in the world of jazz and commercial music.

      Crucial to the jazz program is a concentrated emphasis on improvisation, the utmost expression of personal musical creativity. All students participate in regular “combo sessions” so that they experience improvising with a rhythm section. Students delve into the intricate mixture of melody, harmony and rhythm on which their musical ideas are based.

      The Jazz Ensemble offers student performers the opportunity to study a wide variety of jazz music, from the early days of its New Orleans birthplace to today’s jazz greats. ASU is proud to offer performances in this uniquely American art form.

      Brass Choir

      The Brass Choir is a brass chamber ensemble for trumpet, horn, trombone, euphonium and tuba performers. The ensemble performs masterwork literature from the 16th through the 20th centuries in some of the most appealing venues for brass performance in San Angelo and the surrounding Concho Valley.

      This ensemble is open to both music major and non-music major brass players. No audition is required for membership. The Brass Choir performs each semester during the notable “Night of Brass” concert along with other smaller brass chamber ensembles. Rehearsal time for the Brass Choir is 1-1:50 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays.

      Other brass chamber ensembles in the department include the Trumpet Choir, Horn Ensemble, Trombone Choir, Tuba/Euphonium Ensemble and Brass Quintet.

      For more information, visit Dr. John Irish’s website, Brass at ASU.

      Trumpet Ensemble

      The Trumpet Ensemble prepares repertoire that span a variety of musical styles. The ensemble fosters an appreciation for teamwork and promotes the enjoyment of playing the trumpet.

      The Trumpet Ensemble is under the direction of Dr. John Irish and performs regularly in concert as well as in collaboration with nationally known performers. The group is open to all trumpeters.

      Visit these websites to learn more about the Trumpet Ensemble:


      Basketball Band

      The ASU Basketball Band is a high-energy spirit ensemble that performs at all of the home basketball games for the Rams and Rambelles, plus other select community engagements. Students in the ensemble are selected through an audition process.

      Although registration for this ensemble is limited to the spring semester, the Basketball Band may perform at home games scheduled during the latter half of the fall semester. Auditions are generally held the 3rd/4th week of classes in the fall semester with music for the audition posted one week prior; an announcement will be placed on Ramport in early September. For more information, contact the band’s director, Dr. Constance Kelley.

      Basketball Band Personnel Form 

      Basketball Band Audition Information

      Percussion Ensemble

      The Percussion Ensemble features various percussionists with multiple degrees of experience. Each semester, the ensemble performs traditional and contemporary compositions with Western and Eastern influences.

      Repertoire in the past four semesters have included works by William Kraft, Joel Morris, Steve Reich, John Cage and Bob Becker.

      Flute Choir

      The Flute Choir is directed by Dr. Constance Kelley and is open to all members of the student body who play the flute and seek a venue for musical expression through teamwork.

      Repertoire for this ensemble is selected from standard literature, transcriptions and new compositions as well as from arrangements for the flute family.

      The Flute Choir performs in regularly scheduled Woodwind Chamber Ensemble concerts and in community outreach efforts. For more information, contact Dr. Constance Kelley.

      ASU Orchestra

      The ASU Orchestra is an ensemble for musicians who play the violin, viola, cello and bass and is open to all members of the student body, faculty and staff. The ensemble performs music from various periods in history, from Baroque to Modern eras. The performance schedule consists of one or two concerts each semester as well as community outreach events.

      No audition is required for membership, but it is recommended that interested musicians contact Dr. Maurice Kelley before enrolling. For more information, contact Dr. Maurice Kelley.

      Chamber Strings

      ASU Chamber Strings is a collective of small string ensembles such as trios, quartets, and quintets. It is open to all members of the student body, faculty, staff, and community by audition. The performance schedule varies from semester to semester but includes a recital, performance at selected university functions, and community outreach events. The group rehearses twice a week for 60 minutes.

      Interested musicians should contact Dr. Maurice Kelley before enrolling. For more information, contact Dr. Maurice Kelley.

      Concert Chorale

      This group is a large mixed ensemble open to any student, regardless of major. No audition is required.

      The Concert Chorale comprises 80-100 singers representing nearly every department on campus. The ensemble presents two concerts each semester and performs a wide array of literature, including a major work with orchestra each year.

      Rehearsals are from 1-1:50 p.m. Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays.

      Chamber Singers

      The Chamber Singers is a small, mixed ensemble consisting of 24-36 outstanding vocalists. It performs a repertoire that encompasses a broad range of styles and languages. Membership is by competitive audition.

      Rehearsals are from 12:30-1:45 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday. This group also serves as the leadership core of the Concert Chorale in rehearsal and performance.

      Opera/Music Theatre Workshop

      The Opera/Music Theatre Workshop focuses on the study of singing and acting techniques through the use of scenes taken from opera and music theatre literature. This workshop focuses on ensembles, quartets, trios and duets as well as solo material. Students are selected by audition. Both music majors and non-music majors are welcome.


  • Student Resources

    Student Resources

    Building Hours

    Carr Education-Fine Arts Building

    • Monday-Thursday: 7 a.m.-11 p.m.
    • Friday: 7a.m.-9 p.m.
    • Saturday: 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
    • Sunday: Noon to 11 p.m.

    Music Student Handbook

    Consult the Music Student Handbook for departmental rules and policies regarding academic requirements, ensemble participation and recital attendance.

    Health and Wellness Guide

    This guide offers important information on health and wellness for the musician.
    Health-Wellness Guide


    Jury Form

    Student Academic Support Services

    International Opportunities

    Study Abroad

    Student Organizations

  • FAQ

    Frequently Asked Questions

    • Yes. If you are eligible for GI Bill benefits and have remaining entitlement, you can use it for a graduate degree and beyond.

    • Yes- as long as they are required for graduation, VA will cover them. Summer is a great times to maximize your benefits, too. for undergraduate students, if you enroll in two 3-hour courses in Summer I and two 3-hour courses in Summer II, you will only expend about 2 months of GI Bill eligibility while you accomplish an entire semester’s worth of coursework! Graduate students are only required to enroll in 6 total semester hours over the course of summer to be considered full-time.

    • Have you registered for an eBenefits account? Your eBenefits account is the best place to access information about your record of service and benefits that you are using or may qualify for. VETS Center staff can help you set up your eBenefits account and show you where to access your information.

    • We encourage all students using VA Educational Benefits to apply for federal financial aid to find additional resources to pay for college expenses. Your education benefits will not be counted against you for the purposes of determining eligibility for grants. Grant eligibility is determined by the results of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and careful processing done by our Financial Aid staff. Aid that you qualify for through our Financial Aid office will be applied to any balance you owe the university for tuition, fees, parking, mailbox rental, housing/meals, late fees and other items. Any remaining credit will be refunded to you after your balance has been paid in full. 

    • Active duty service members who are currently stationed in Texas can request a waiver of out-of-state tuition rates by completing an Active Duty Military Certification Form and submitting it to the Registrar prior to the census date of the term. Spouses and dependent children can request this waiver as well. See our Residency Information page for more information.

    • Under certain circumstances, yes. This is called “stacking” your benefits. If you are eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill at less than the 100% rate, and are fully eligible for the Hazlewood Exemption, you can use the exemption to cover the remaining tuition not paid by VA. Other benefits might be eligible for stacking with Hazlewood. Contact the VETS Center to see if your VA Education Benefit qualifies.

    • The Hazlewood Exemption is a 150 credit hour tuition exemption for honorably discharged Veterans whose home of record at the time of entry into military service was Texas. There are provisions for transferring un-used Hazlewood hours to a dependent child. Spouses and children of honorably discharged Texas Veterans with a complete and permanent service-connected disability or who died because of a service connected disability may qualify for the 150 hour exemption. Please see the information listed on our website for complete information.

    • VA will adjust all stipends accordingly. If you are enrolled 3/4 time, VA will pay you 75% of your benefits. If you are enrolled in 1/2 time, VA will pay you 50% of your benefits. EXCEPTIONS: those using Post-9/11 GI Bill must be enrolled a MORE THAN HALF TIME to be eligible to receive housing stipend. For long semesters, you must enroll in 7 or more hours to qualify for the housing stipend. For block courses, you will not be eligible for the housing stipend until you have attended courses totaling 7 or more credit hours for the term.

    • If you attend the course all the way to the end of the term, VA will pay for you to repeat the course without penalty one time. If you fail the class because you stopped attending it before the end date, an adjustment will be made to your account, and VA may ask you to repay all or part of your stipend for that course. VA will pay for you to repeat the course one time without penalty.

    • Please notify the VETS Center so we can process the withdrawal and notify VA that you are no longer attending classes at ASU. After we process the withdrawal:

      For Post-9/11 GI Bill, VA will request that you return all or part of the tuition and fees paid to the University for the course, based on the date of the withdrawal and the reason for withdrawal.

      For all other chapters, VA will stop your monthly stipend and possibly ask you to repay a portion of the stipend if they have overpaid you.

      If you have medical or other unavoidable circumstances that are outside your control that cause you to withdrawal form all of your classes, be sure to let us know. We won’t ask for all the details, but we will ask questions and give you all the information we can to make sure your file is processed with your situation in mind. In some situations, VA can waive the debt associated with your withdrawal, but only if we ask them to review it.

    • Please notify the VETS Center so we can process the drop and notify VA that there has been a change in your enrollment. After we process the adjustment:

      For Post-9/11- VA will request that you return all or part of the tuition and fees paid to the University for the course, based on the drop date. They may also request that you repay your book and housing stipends for that course. If you drop below full-time, your housing stipend will be adjusted based on your remaining enrollment. If you drop to half-time or less, you will no longer be eligible for the housing stipend, and VA will request that you repay any housing stipend funds that were paid after the date of the drop. Va will pay for you to repeat the class.

      For all other chapters- VA will adjust your monthly stipend according to your remaining course load. If you remain enrolled full-time, no adjustment is made. If you remain enrolled 3/4 time, Va will pay you the 3/4 time rate from the date of the drop. If you remain enrolled 1/2 time or less, VA will adjust your rate to the amount of your tuition and fees only, and request reimbursement of any overpayment that has been made to you. VA will pay for you to repeat the class.

    • Post-9/11 GI Bill- you should receive your book stipend immediately before each new semester or term begins, as long as you haven’t already received the maximum amount for the year. Your housing stipend is paid in arrears. You will be paid for January on or around the first of February, and so on. If you enrolled late, requested certification of your benefits late, or made changes to your enrollment before the beginning of the term, your book stipend will be delayed.

      For all other chapters, your monthly stipends is paid in arrears. Your January stipend will be paid on or around the first of February, and so on. Changes to your schedule and late registration or certification can cause your payment to be delayed.

    • Book stipends for Post-9/11 GI Bill participants are usually disturbed the week prior to the start of a semester or term (if you requested certification of your benefits at least 30 days before the term began). Stipends are paid for each enrollment period separately, so you will receive more than one payment per term if you courses are taught in 8 week blocks. The rate for book stipends is $41.67 per credit hour with an annual cap of $1000.00.

    • Post-9/11 GI Bill recipients who are only taking online courses qualify for the housing stipend under the National Average MHA rate. The current rate for full-time enrollment is $714.50 for each full month of enrollment for those eligible at the 100% rate.

    • For any semester or term, you must be enrolled MORE THAN HALF TIME to be eligible for the housing allowance. This varies based on how long a course is, how long a term is, and whether you are an undergraduate or graduate student.

    • You must meet ALL of the requirements below to qualify:

      • Be eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill at the 100% rate (both Veterans and dependents using transferred benefits)
      • Be an enrolled student who is not eligible for in-state tuition rates
      • NOT be an active duty service member OR the spouse of an active duty service member
    • The Yellow Ribbon Program is an agreement between the University and the VA that pertains to students who do not qualify for in-state tuition rates. ASU’s Yellow Ribbon agreement provides up to $4000 per year to cover out-of-state tuition costs for undergraduate level students and $2000 per year for graduate level students. These funds are matched by VA and applied directly to the cost of out-of-state tuition and fees. We accept the first 5 requests for each level per year. Yellow Ribbon funds do not typically cover all tuition and fee charges, so participants should expect to pay at least a portion of their tuition and fees each year on their own.

    • Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits can be transferred to your spouse or child while you are in the active military. After separation, you are no longer eligible to transfer benefits to a dependent. If you transferred at least one day of entitlement to a dependent before separating, you can transfer additional months of entitlement, but the initial transfer must take place while you are enlisted, but the initial transfer must take place while you are enlisted in the active military.

    • Tuition and Fees- up to 100% of your in-state tuition and fees are paid directly to the University by VA, based on your eligibility percentage. Post-9/11 GI Bill does NOT cover out-of-state (non-resident) tuition. If eligible, Yellow Ribbon matching funds may be available to offset out-of-state charges. See the Request for Participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program form on our website for eligibility information.


      Monthly Housing Allowance- paid directly to you, based on rate of pursuit (number of credit hours currently attended) and multiplied by your eligibility percentage. You must be attending at least 7 credit hours to be eligible to receive MHA.


      Book Stipend-$1000 per year maximum paid directly to you, based on your percentage of eligibility and your enrollment.

    • The VETS Center can help you determine what you may qualify for, but only VA can tell you what you are actually eligible for and how many months of entitlement you have. To find out more, or for assistance with submitting an application for VA Education Benefits, call or stop by the VETS Center. Our staff will ask a few questions to determine what you may qualify for, and answer any questions have before you apply.

    • Music Program Frequently Asked Questions

      Who do I contact about auditioning?

      Contact the office coordinator for the Visual and Performing Arts Department at 325-942-2085.

      Do I need to send my music ahead of time?

      You only need to provide a copy of your music if you need an accompanist. If so, you can either mail it to the Visual and Performing Arts Department at ASU Station #10906, San Angelo, TX 76909-0906, or fax it to 325-942-2152. 

      Do I need to provide my own accompanist or will one be provided for me?

      We will have an accompanist available or you may bring your own.

      About how long is the audition process?

      The audition process takes about an hour.

      Do I need to audition for the Marching Ram Band?

      No, it is open to any ASU student.

      How do I make sure I’m on the list for “Early Week?”

      If you are unsure, stop by the Ram Band Web page and fill out a Prospective Student Form.

      Will my marching shoes from high school work, or will I have to purchase new ones?

      The Ram Band uses flat black marching shoes. If you have those shoes, you will not need to purchase new ones.

      Are there scholarships available for Ram Band?

      Yes. Scholarship applications are on the Ram Band Web page

      Do I need to audition if I want to be in the Jazz Band?

      No. However, we suggest that you visit with Dr. Tim Bonenfant, director of the Jazz Band.

      Are there scholarships available for Jazz Band?

      Yes. But no application is required.

      When are auditions for the Angelettes?

      Live auditions are generally held in late April. Visit the Angelettes Web page to learn more.

      What are the requirements for the Angelettes?

      A comprehensive list of mastered techniques is available on the Angelettes Web page.

      Are there any Angelettes scholarships?

      Girls who are selected for the team receive a scholarship that increases every year that they remain on the team.

      When and where are twirling auditions?

      Live twirling auditions are held in mid-April. Audition information is posted on the Ram Band Web page.

      When are the music scholarship deadlines, and when will I be notified if I’ve been awarded a scholarship?

      Scholarship applications for current students are due March 1. Scholarship applications for incoming freshmen and transfer students are due June 1. Generally, scholarships for current students are awarded by April 1.