Academic Advising Instructions
Suggested Steps to Prepare for Advising*
- Use the online Class Schedule search for a list of classes offered. Make sure you are viewing an upcoming semester.
- Complete the Long-Term Course Planning Form.
- To get a list of upcoming registration information, refer to these important dates.
- All students must attend a group advising session. To identify the name of your advisor and his/her office number and office hours, please view the undergraduate faculty advising assignments.
- Log-in to RamPort.
- Select the Student Services tab.
- Choose RAMS-Logon.
- Find the menu that includes Student Records. This will take you to a menu that includes Official Degree Plan.
- If you do not have an official degree plan, please follow the instructions on No. 1 of the Advising Form.
- If you have already applied for an official degree plan, a Detailed Degree Evaluation will be generated. Select Degree Evaluation in the Student Records menu and follow the prompts to generate a new one for your major. This will tell you which courses and other requirements that you have successfully completed as well as other requirements you still need.
- Print the Detailed Degree Evaluation to assist in planning.
- You will need to print an Unofficial Academic Transcript that can be accessed from the Student Records menu.
- Use the schedule and degree evaluation to select courses. Complete two copies of the Student Advising Form: one for you and one for your advisor.
- Take your Long-Term Course Planning Form, Detailed Degree Evaluation, Unofficial Academic Transcript and two completed advising forms to your group advising session. If you are unable to attend group advising, take the completed documents to your academic advisor.
- Your advising hold will be removed after you have attended one of the group advising sessions. One signed copy of the form remains with the advisor and the other is yours to keep. You can then complete your registration online or in the Registrar’s Office.
If you have any questions about this process, please contact the Department of Curriculum and Instruction at (325) 942-2647 or the Department of Teacher Education at (325) 942-2052. We will be happy to assist you.
*Note: Students who are unable to meet with their assigned advisors during posted office hours need to contact the advisor by e-mail or phone to schedule an appointment.