Admission to the Educator Preparation Program
Candidates apply for admission to the Educator Preparation Program (EPP) when they have completed 60 semester credit hours. Admission to the EPP is required for registration in upper-level education classes.
At the time of application to the Educator Preparation Program, all applicants must demonstrate that they have:
- Completed 60 semester credit hours (SCH) with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.50.
- Completed at least 12 SCH in their major/teaching field coursework with no grade lower than a C and a GPA greater than 2.50.
- Completed the coursework to demonstrate proficiency in reading, writing, mathematics and communication. To demonstrate proficiency, the candidate must complete the following courses with a grade of C or better:
- Reading proficiency - History 1301, 1302 and Political Science 2301, 2302
- Writing proficiency - English 1301, 1302
- Mathematics proficiency - Mathematics 1302 or an equivalent course
- Communication proficiency - Communication 2301 or 2331
- Met the requirements of the Texas Success Initiative (TSI). The TSI skill requirements are normally met at the time of admission to the university or through required coursework. For more information about the TSI, visit the Angelo State University TSI website.
- Acceptable teacher behavior. Candidates will be evaluated on these behaviors through the assessment of teacher dispositions. At the point of admission to the Educator Preparation Program, candidates are required to review and accept the unit’s dispositions.
To apply for the Educator Preparation Program:
- Log in to RamPort
- Select the Rams icon
- Go to Educator Preparation Program
- Select the Educator Preparation Program (EPP) Application
TExES Eligibility and Registration Procedures
For candidates to be eligible to take the Texas Examination of Educator Standards (TExES), they must have completed the approved certification program requirements for each examination they wish to take. Individuals should consult with the appropriate ASU department or college concerning certification program requirements.
TExES Registration Procedure
- Report to the ASU college or department responsible for your teacher certification area to determine your eligibility (i.e., the Mathematics Department for Mathematics 8-12 certification). Ask a representative to send a notice of your approval to Maggie Blair, Certification Advisor, in the Educator Preparation Information Center (EPI Center). This approval can be sent via email to email@example.com.
- After your certification area department has notified us that you are eligible to take the test(s), the Certification Specialist will notify you via email that your approval has been uploaded to TEA.
- After your approval has been uploaded, you may register for the test(s). A credit card is necessary to complete the registration. You must have a valid Texas Education Agency ID number before you can register. For more information, read and follow these certification test registration instructions.
Applying for Teacher Certification Online
Candidates can now apply directly to the Texas Education Agency (TEA) to process their teaching certificate applications. Once a candidate has applied, the TEA will make that information available to ASU. The university will then confirm in which area(s) the candidate is eligible for a teaching certificate.
To apply for a teaching certificate, you must have internet access:
- Go to the TEA website.
- Select Educator Login/Account Set Up from the left menu.
- Choose New User? Create New Account.
- Fill in your last name, social security number and date of birth. Under Application Applying For select Candidate Participating in an Educator Preparation Program. Then hit the Search button at the bottom of the page. The TEA now searches its records to make sure you do not already have an account established.
- Next, you will be asked to complete a form to set up a new user account. After completing that form, you will establish a user name and password to use each time you log in to TEA.
- Once you are logged in, you will be assigned a TEA ID number. Write down the number. You will need it to set up an account with the Education Testing Service (ETS) so you can register for certification exams.
- Choose Application in the menu, then Standard Certificate Texas Program, and then Apply for Certification. Follow the steps to complete your application.
Payment must be made online with credit card or electronic check.
If you have questions, you may call TEA at 1-512-936-8400 or visit www.tea.state.tx.us for Live Chat assistance. If you need further assistance, please stop by the Educator Preparation Information Center in the Carr Building, Room 287.
Recommendation for Certification
Candidates desiring teacher certification at the levels of Early Childhood to Grade 4, Grades 4-8, Grades 8-12 or all levels are required to complete the following procedures:
- Complete the Educator Preparation Program.
- Graduate (or already possess a degree).
- Pass all appropriate certification exams.
- Apply for certification with TEA (www.tea.state.tx.us).
- Pass a national background check.
Required Fingerprinting of Applicants for Certification
All candidates who are applying for a teaching certificate through the Texas Education Agency must submit their fingerprints for review by state and national law enforcement agencies. San Angelo has an electronic fingerprint vendor, so we strongly recommend that candidates apply for the DPS-approved electronic option for fingerprinting. For more information on fingerprinting, visit the TEA Website.
Preliminary Criminal History Evaluation of Educator Certification Candidates
A Request for Preliminary Criminal History Evaluation is a non-mandatory, non-binding evaluation of an individual’s self-reported criminal history, by the agency’s educator investigations staff. The evaluation is a service provided to the requestor for a non-refundable fee made by credit card. The requestor will receive a preliminary criminal history evaluation letter by email from the agency advising the requestor of a determination of potential ineligibility for educator certification. The evaluation is based solely on the information that is provided by the requestor. Participation in the evaluation will not preclude you from being required to submit to a national criminal history review at the time you apply for your educator certification. This means you will be required to be fingerprinted and to pay the applicable fees at that time. Your criminal history will be reviewed at that time and you may be subject to an investigation based on that criminal history, including any relevant information regarding the criminal history evaluated that you failed to submit for evaluation. For further information or to request this service, please visit the TEA website at www.tea.state.tx.us.