English Language Learners’ Institute
The English Language Learners’ Institute is a non-credit program set up to help non-native English speakers develop English language competence. The institute is part of ASU’s Center for International Studies.
The institute delivers high-quality English language programs to international students, including those living in the San Angelo area. A priority is to prepare students for future study at Angelo State and other U.S. universities, but we also welcome students who need English for social and professional purposes.
The ELLI gives participants a placement test to make sure they receive curriculum at an appropriate level. We offer 5 terms of study each year. Please see ELLI dates and cost for more information. Students who satisfactorily complete the English for Academic Purposes courses are eligible for ASU admission without completing the TOEFL requirement.
ELLI also offers custom programs to institutions and groups of students in the United States and overseas. We are involved in programs for local businesses with international employees and in cultural programs for international student groups.
Contact the ELLI at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about custom courses.
Why Study at ASU?
- San Angelo offers you the opportunity to speak English with Americans, both on the university campus and in the community.
- ASU offers significant financial advantages to those learning English: low tuition cost, low mandatory student fees and San Angelo’s low cost of living.
- The ELLI staff members are focused on making your overall experience as positive as possible.
- San Angelo is very safe and its people are friendly.
- The ASU campus and the surrounding areas provide excellent opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts.
- If you like sports, there are several excellent on-campus sports activities (soccer, football, basketball, tennis, etc.) for participants and spectators.
- The ELLI offers you a variety of extracurricular activities, such as outings to other major cities, picnics and field trips, which allow you to get to know other students.
- You can earn certificates of completion and attendance at our end-of-the-session ceremonies.