Skip Navigation
Angelo State University
Center for International Studies

Search Site

Information for:

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I study through an ASU program?

The Center for International Studies offers programs in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, China, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Malawi, Poland, Scotland, Spain, South Korea, and United Kingdom.

What if I can’t find a program through ASU that fits my needs?

Students who want to pursue study in courses or locations other than those listed as ASU summer or semester/academic year programs may apply through the Texas International Education Consortium. For more information, contact Dr. Edward C. Olson.

What is a visa? Do I need one?

A visa is a travel authorization document that allows you to enter a foreign country. You may or may not need a visa, depending on which country you intend to visit. The Center for International Studies staff can assist you in determining if you need a visa.

Isn’t studying abroad very expensive?

Through careful planning and the help of the ASU Center for International Studies, studying abroad doesn’t have to be very expensive. For example, in the academic year programs, you pay ASU tuition and fees. We also offer scholarships to every participant, and you can also use your existing scholarships and financial aid.

I don’t speak a foreign language. Can I still study abroad?

No problem. You can study in an English-speaking country, such as Scotland, and our summer programs all offer classes in English. Our academic year program to Paris has a special curriculum in English just for you.

What can I study?

You can study just about anything abroad. You can take classes to satisfy general requirements or take courses as part of your major or minor.

Can I get my credits transferred?

Yes. The Center for International Studies, your program director and your academic advisor will work with you to find the right courses that will fit into your degree plan. Usually, studying abroad will not keep you from graduating as planned. If you participate in a summer program, you could actually finish quicker.

Do I have to be an A-student?

No. A GPA of 2.50 is required.

How safe are the programs?

Each program is thoroughly planned for about one year prior to actual departure. Careful consideration is taken when choosing places of travel, hotel locations and educational visits. Students are well-prepared on travel instruction and behavior prior to departure. Safety is a major priority for the faculty directors.

What steps should I take to protect my health while I’m abroad?

All students who participate in ASU-sponsored study abroad programs must purchase ASU’s mandatory insurance policy. This insurance coverage includes Emergency Medical Evacuation (EME) and Repatriation of Remains (RR). For more information, visit our health and safety page.

Where do I live while studying abroad?

Each program varies, but the majority of programs take place at universities, so students reside in campus residence halls. Other travel may require hotels, hostels and other accommodations.

Can I study abroad in my senior year?

It is definitely possible to study abroad in your senior year, but a few things must be taken into consideration. Just contact us and we will help you.

Will there be time when I can sightsee on my own?

Depending on the program, normally there are at least a few weekends when you will be able to travel on your own. You can also travel after the program ends (but talk to your program director first).

When should I start planning for my trip?

The earlier you begin planning, the better, especially for the academic year programs. If you allow a year, you will have plenty of time to take care of all the logistical concerns as well as improve your knowledge of the host language and culture. It takes time for applications to be processed, for travel arrangements to go through and for you to prepare yourself and your finances.

Can graduate students study abroad?

Yes. Please note, though, that it can be a bit more complicated to fit study abroad into a graduate degree plan.

Can international students study abroad?

Yes. Study abroad is for every ASU student. Please note that there might be special visa requirements depending on your native country and the country where you plan to study.

Can non-traditional students, students with children or students with disabilities study abroad?

We attempt to accommodate all students interested in studying abroad. Please do not hesitate to let us know about your special circumstances. We are committed to making an international experience available to all students.

Common Study Abroad Myths

Myth: I have to be able to speak another language to study abroad.
Truth: Most programs do not require that you speak another language. Courses are usually taught in English.

Myth: It is too expensive for me to study abroad.
Truth: There are study abroad scholarships available for qualified students.

Myth: The courses will not count toward my degree requirements.
Truth: Most courses will count toward your major or as advanced electives.

Myth: I don’t have the time to study abroad.
Truth: Most summer study abroad courses are the same length as a summer term: four weeks.

Myth: It is too dangerous to travel abroad.
Truth: Study abroad programs are offered only in the safest environments. For some programs, ASU faculty supervise and assess the risks to students on a daily basis.