Global friends will have a chance to assist an International student in their orientation of American culture, as well as building lasting friendships. Not only will you gain the satisfaction of positively impacting an international student, but you can also improve your foreign language skills. You can also get a chance to experience and gain knowledge about different cultures as you interact with your new international student
- Center for International Studies will organize fun activities such as day trips to the Abilene Zoo and shopping trips to Midland.
- Students can meet at least once a week with their international student for a coffee hour. The purpose of this is to give international students the chance to discuss their transition into American culture, how their classes are, and to address any other questions they might have regarding their new experiences.
- Once a month, students can plan an activity on or off campus for their international student.
- Take international students on errand runs to buy groceries, go to the bank, etc.
- A chance to improve on your foreign language skills.
- Gaining community service hours.
- Enhance global perspectives
- A banquet at the end of the semester to recognize you contributions.
- A letter of recommendation.
- Empathy and helping skills. Concern for others.
- Cross-cultural awareness, understanding, and sensitivity.
- Flexibility and open-mindedness.
- Demonstrated ability to manage academic workload. Good academic standing.
- Good time management skills.
- Initiative, enthusiasm and dependability.
- Familiarity with the San Angelo community and available resources.