First Year Research Experience Grant Application
Generally, students with a 3.5 or higher high school grade point average are most competitive; however, students who demonstrate a high level of analytical ability, intellectual curiosity, and motivation are encouraged to apply. We are especially seeking qualified students from under-represented groups. Previous research experience is helpful but not required. Participation in the Honors College is not required.
FYRE Grants are available in the following areas:
English and Modern Languages, Physics, Biology, Mathematics, Security Studies, Political Science, Philosophy, History, Computer Science, Visual and Performing Arts, Management and Marketing, and Psychology, Sociology, and Social Work.
Before beginning the application process, students should download and carefully read the First Year Research Experience Grant Document. Student applicants should understand the FYRE Grant is highly competitive. Students applying must convince the committee reviewing the applications that they are both capable and willing to do the work required to successfully complete a research/creative project at the university level. Simply completing the application does not guarantee the student will receive the grant.
To apply for the Research program, students must:
- Be admitted to Angelo State University as a degree seeking student.
- Complete the 3 question application in RAMS.
- Enter your ASU campus ID number
- Enter your ASU PIN
- Click the Financial Aid tab
- Click Application and Surveys
- Click 2015–16 Undergraduate Research Application
- Submit two recommendation letters from someone who is familiar with your academic work (ie. Teacher, instructor, counselor). Letters should be submitted directly to the CITR (see below) by the person writing the recommendation. Students should provide a copy of the First Year Research Experience Grant Document (see above) to their recommenders. There is not a Letter of Recommendation Form. Letter writers should include information in a letter, addressed to First Year Research Experience Grant Committee, that will help the committee determine if you are willing, able, and disciplined enough academically to complete a year-long research project. The committee is looking for specific evidence of your academic qualities.
- The student applying for the grant will submit a 1,000 word maximum essay to the CITR electronically or as a hard copy. (See below for submission information.) Before beginning the essay, student applicants should understand they will need to convince the grant committee they are both capable and willing to engage in a year-long faculty-mentored project. The committee is looking for applicants who are curious, hard working, and interested in working with a faculty mentor.
The student applicant should address the following prompt in his or her essay:
How will engaging in a faculty-mentored research project as an incoming first year student help you achieve your goals at Angelo State University and beyond?
Recommendation letters and essays should be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or to CITR, ASU Station #10889, San Angelo, TX 76909.
The application and additional documentation material listed above have a priority review deadline of March 16, 2015.