Graduate and Teaching Assistantships
Application Procedures and Schedule of Deadlines
- B.A. degree, including 24 semester hours in English with 12 of those in advanced courses with an acceptable grade point average (3.0 or better)
- Admission to the English graduate program (all teaching assistants are required to take English 6376)
- Admission to the English graduate program
- Completion of 18 semester hours in graduate English courses
- Some teaching experience or the completion of English 6378: Teaching College Composition (all graduate and teaching assistants are required to take English 6376)
Submit these items with your application:
- A cover letter addressed to Dr. Laurence Musgrove that indicates your interest and reasons for applying to be a graduate assistant or a teaching assistant.
- This application form from the College of Graduate Studies.
- Three letters of reference sent directly to Dr. Laurence Musgrove from people familiar with your work and record, such as faculty members with whom you have worked. Note: The interview committee consists of Dr. Laurence Musgrove, Dr. Jeffery Schonberg, Dr. Mary Ellen Hartje and Cindy Burkhalter. As such, they are not eligible to submit letters of recommendation.
All materials must be addressed to:
Dr. Laurence Musgrove
Head, Department of English and Modern Languages
ASU Station #10894
San Angelo, TX 76909-0894
Application materials should be received in the English and Modern Languages Department Office by the first Friday in April. Qualified applicants will be asked to schedule an interview. The dean of the College of Graduate Studies will inform successful applicants. If supplemental funds become available, some assistantships may be awarded later in the year.
Renewals are subject to approval each year. Application for renewal of a graduate assistantship will be made by sending a letter of intent to the head of the English and Modern Languages Department by the first Friday in April.