Skip Navigation
Angelo State University
College of Graduate Studies

Search Site

Information for:

Graduate, Teaching and
Research Assistantships

General Information

Angelo State University offers three types of appointments for graduate students.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships are staff appointments without fixed terms and are available in these academic areas:

  • Animal Science
  • Communication
  • Education
  • English
  • Biology
  • Kinesiology
  • Psychology

The Small Business Development Center, Center for International Studies, Student Involvement, Career Services, Athletics and other non-academic offices also periodically have graduate assistant openings. Graduate assistants have responsibility for a wide range of duties designed to support undergraduate instructional programs.

Graduate assistantships pay $13.50/hour, generally for a 17.5-hour work week.

Teaching Assistantships

Teaching assistantships are contract appointments and are available in these departments:

  • Biology
  • Communication
  • English
  • Kinesiology
  • Psychology

Completion of 18 graduate semester credit hours in the field is required for teaching assistantships. Teaching assistants have responsibility for lecture classes, individual instruction or laboratory sections.

Teaching assistantships are for an academic year (or semester) and carry a stipend of $11,095/academic year.

Research assistantships

Research assistantships are staff appointments without fixed terms and are available for some university research projects. The duties of each research assistant will not exceed 19.5 hours of work per week, will depend specifically on the research project to which the graduate student is assigned, and are determined by the faculty member directing the project.

Research Assistantships pay $13.50/hour.

Application Procedure

Applicants for teaching, graduate or research assistantships must submit the following to the department in which they wish to work:

For more information, visit the website of the academic program you plan to enroll in.

Applications will not be processed until regular admission into an ASU master’s degree program has been given. All graduate students who are awarded assistantships must be enrolled in the College of Graduate Studies during the terms of their appointments.

Apply Now

Use this form to apply for a teaching, graduate or research assistantship.


Carr Graduate Scholarship

Looking for other ways to obtain financial aid for graduate school? Check out the Carr Graduate Scholarship.

Learn More