Archer College of Health and Human Services
The Archer College of Health and Human Services offers professional education in a variety of health care, rehabilitation and human service disciplines. The college consists of the following group of departments and professional programs:
- Department of Kinesiology
- Department of Nursing
- Doctor of Physical Therapy (D.P.T.)
- Department of Psychology, Sociology and Social Work
Through the integration of research, education and evidence-based practice, the Archer College of Health and Human Services assists students to develop competence in professional practice and to be leaders in their professions, organizations and communities. The college values a sound general education that enables students to develop analytical and creative thinking, and to make well-founded ethical decisions. We offer a variety of undergraduate and graduate degrees and certificate programs. Our graduates pursue advanced degrees or enter a variety of practice, research and administrative roles in the health and human services fields to preserve and promote the well-being of individuals, groups and communities.
The mission of the College is to educate a diverse student body from various backgrounds in the health and human service professions through rigorous curricular activities that prepare students to take leadership roles in a competitive, technological, culturally diverse and global environment, engage students and faculty in the discovery of knowledge through education, research, service, and co-curricular experiences, and extend the boundaries of Angelo State University to enrich the quality of lives, especially for individuals in underserved and vulnerable populations, through interprofessional and community collaborations.
The College will be a regional leader in the preparation of health and human service professionals. Such leadership will be distinguished by its interdisciplinary emphasis and role in defining and promoting evidence-based practice, enriching our communities through model outreach activities, and advancing science that informs policy and practice.
Liberal Knowledge and skills of inquiry, critical thinking and synthesis
Students will acquire knowledge as health and human service professionals. Students will develop their abilities to practice higher-level critical thinking.
Students will become proficient in reading, writing, speaking, and listening. Students will also develop quantitative literacy and technological fluency.
Students will gain knowledge and skills appropriate both for their fields of study and to enter into the professional sector and/ or graduate school.
Students will understand their responsibility as citizens in a complex, changing society.
Students will gain insight into the ways cultural identities and experiences shape individual perspectives of the world.
Master Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge, skills, and values appropriate to the discipline.
- Demonstrate the ability to be critical consumers of the literature as appropriate to the discipline.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in collaboration with other professionals.
- Demonstrate the ability to be creative, critical thinkers with the ability to apply new technologies as appropriate to the discipline.
Master Communication and Dissemination
- Be required to demonstrate advanced oral and written communication skills, as appropriate, to the discipline.
- Demonstrate global perspectives appropriate to the discipline.
Master Leadership and Social Responsibility
- Comprehend and practice the ethical principles appropriate to the discipline.
- Understand and value individual differences and have the skills for working effectively in a diverse, changing world.