Students planning to receive a degree from Angelo State University should file an Application for Graduation with the dean of the appropriate academic college during registration for their last semester, but in no event later than the designated date in the university calendar. For August graduation, students must apply during the first summer term. No degree will be conferred until a degree plan has been approved and the Application for Graduation has been filed.
Correct Mailing Address—The application requests three addresses:
- The current local address, which will be used for correspondence concerning graduation.
- The current permanent address, which will be used for correspondence after graduation.
- The third address line will be used for submitting a graduation announcement to your hometown newspaper.
- Name for Diploma—Your name will appear on your diploma exactly as it appears on your Application for Graduation. PLEASE CHECK YOUR NAME FOR CORRECTNESS. If your name is incorrect, contact the deans’ office in the appropriate college. If your name is missing accent marks, tildes, etc., please contact the Registrar’s Office immediately.
- Directory Restrictions—If you have requested a directory restriction on your student records, please be aware that we will not be able to list your name in the graduation program, nor will we be able to notify your hometown newspaper, or be allowed to release your address to the photographer to send proofs of your graduation picture. Should you choose to lift this restriction for graduation, please contact the Registrar’s Office immediately.
Graduation Under a Particular Catalog:
The university reserves the right to modify the curricula or withdraw any courses when it appears wise to do so. The policies and procedures in the catalog are currently in effect; however, the university reserves the right to make changes or modification for a good cause.
To receive a degree from Angelo State University, a student must fulfill all requirements for the degree as set forth in a particular university catalog as amended. Several choices are allowed: (1) Graduation may be under the requirements of the current catalog; (2) Graduation may be under the catalog of the year in force when the student first registered at Angelo State University or when the student registered at an accredited Texas community college prior to transferring to Angelo State University; (3) Graduation may be under the requirements of the catalog for any subsequent year in which the student was registered at Angelo State University or when the student registered at an accredited Texas community college prior to transferring to Angelo State University. Each of these provisions is subject to the limitation that all requirements for a degree from Angelo State University must be completed within six years from the date of the catalog selected. For example, a student who chooses to graduate under the requirements of the 2003–05 catalog must complete all requirements for the degree under that catalog prior to August 2009. Otherwise, a later catalog must be selected. However, when a student is enrolled at Angelo State University during the second academic year included in a two year catalog, the six-year limit extends from the beginning of the second academic year of the catalog.
Students may be able to graduate under a specific catalog and degree plan, but may not be able to meet teacher certification requirements that have been mandated by the State Board for Educator Certification. Students should consult with department heads and the College of Education to determine the latest certification requirements.
Angelo State University has graduation exercises at the end of the fall semester (in December), and at the end of the spring semester (May).
Each graduate must be present for rehearsal of the graduation exercise and at the graduation ceremony unless the vice president for academic and student affairs has approved the candidate’s written application for permission to be graduated in absentia.
Instruction concerning graduation exercises will be mailed to each candidate at the appropriate time.
- Academic Regalia—Each candidate is required to wear a cap and gown during the graduation ceremony. It is the responsibility of the graduates to wear appropriate academic regalia. Men should wear white shirts and dark pants. Anyone who is not dressed properly will not be allowed to participate. Caps, gowns and invitations are available in the ASU Bookstore or may be purchased from a private store of the candidate’s choice.
- Official List of Graduates—It is the responsibility of each candidate to check the official list of graduates, which will be posted outside the Office of the Registrar, Hardeman Building, Room 200, or outside each of the college deans’ offices. A candidate whose name does not appear on the official list of candidates WILL NOT receive a diploma at the conclusion of the semester nor have a degree conferred. In order to prevent embarrassment, a candidate who is unable to check the official list should have a friend do so.
- Pronunciation of Name—Every effort is made to pronounce graduates’ names as they want them pronounced. If your name is difficult to pronounce or unusual, please contact the secretary by telephone or come by the office in the Office of the Registrar, Hardeman Building, Room 200 and give her the proper pronunciation.
- Absence Policy—Each candidate for a degree is expected to participate in the graduation ceremony. However, if a candidate is unable to participate, written notification must be sent to the registrar.
- Persons with Disabilities—There are seating areas for persons with disabilities around the railing on the upper level. Ushers will be on hand to help anyone needing assistance. An interpreter will be present at commencement.
Graduation with Honors:
A candidate for a baccalaureate degree who has completed at least sixty undergraduate semester hours in residence at Angelo State University will be eligible for graduation with honors. Institutional grade point averages based on undergraduate grades in Angelo State University courses are used in determining graduation honors. A student with an institutional undergraduate grade point average of 3.50 to 3.69 will be graduated cum laude; a student with an institutional undergraduate grade point average of 3.70 to 3.89 will be graduated magna cum laude; and a student with an institutional undergraduate grade point average of 3.90 to 4.00 will be graduated summa cum laude.
- Alpha Chi Honor Cords—Candidates for bachelor’s degrees who are members of Alpha Chi will receive an honor cord the day of rehearsal. Candidates unable to attend the rehearsal will be given an honor cord before the ceremony. If you are a member of Alpha Chi, please notify the Office of the Provost. Other academic honor societies may provide or purchase cords, ribbons or pins designating the achievement of their members.
- Academic Honor Cords—Candidates for bachelor’s degrees who have a 3.50 GPA or higher will receive an academic honor cord at graduation. The honor cord will be placed on you by the Alpha Chi sponsor after you hand your name card to the announcer. If you have any questions about whether you qualify to graduate with honors, please contact the dean of your college.