Employee Tuition Exemption Program
All staff and faculty employees are encouraged to consider continuing your education by enrolling in ASU classes and taking advantage of the university’s Employee Tuition Exemption Program. Under this program, a part of tuition and fees for up to three undergraduate or graduate credit hours per semester will be waived for employees who wish to enroll in regular academic courses. Full-time staff employees and faculty are eligible to participate in this program.
An overview of the program is provided below:
Who Is Eligible?
Eligible employees include full-time faculty and staff who meet the following criteria:
- Have been employed at ASU for 12 continuous months, in a benefits-eligible position, as of the start date of the academic semester in which the employee is enrolled.
- Are employed full-time at the end of the academic semester.
- Are in good standing, i.e., have a performance rating of “meets expectations” on the most recent performance review.
- Are not in a disciplinary status, i.e., reprimand or performance improvement plan, six months prior to the beginning of the academic semester.
- Do not have a delinquency in student loans or money owed for previous courses taken.
Which Courses Are Eligible?
Only regular undergraduate and graduate academic courses are eligible for this waiver program. The course does not have to relate to the employee’s job.
- The waiver applies to a three credit hour course.
- Employees must obtain approval from their supervisor to attend class during business hours and must agree to make up missed work time as mutually agreed between employee and supervisor.
- Approval and application to participate in the program must be submitted prior to the beginning of each academic semester or summer session.
- The waiver is granted at the time of registration for the current semester and will apply provided the employee maintains a 2.25 grade point average for an undergraduate course (3.0 for graduate courses). If the employee’s GPA falls below 2.25 (3.0 for graduate courses), all tuition and applicable fees for that course will be due and payable to the university.
- Class approved for under this program that are dropped or withdrawn from will forfeit the tuition exemption benefit.
Course Tuition and Fees Subject to Exemption
- For undergraduate courses, all but statutory tuition (currently $50 per credit hour) is exempt, for a three credit hour course. For graduate courses, all but statutory tuition (currently $50 per credit hour) and the graduate tuition differential (currently $30 per credit hour) is exempt, for a three credit hour course.
- The following fees are waived under this program:
- Student Service
- Technology Services
- University Center
- Instructional Enhancement
- Advising Center
- International Education
- Recreational Sports
- Medical Services
Application and Approval Procedures
- Employees must follow standard admissions and enrollment procedures to register for classes.
- Supervisor approval is required if the course dates and times are during the employee’s regular work hours.
- The Application for Employee Tuition Exemption Program must be completed by the employee, submitted to the supervisor for approval, and then sent to Human Resources to determine eligibility under this program.
- The original application is sent by Human Resources to the Financial Aid Office for review and to make any necessary financial aid adjustments for those students/employees who have applied for financial aid.
- The original application is sent by Financial Aid to the Bursar’s Office for review and acknowledgement.
- The original application is returned to Human Resources and kept in the employee’s file. A copy of the application is sent to the employee for record keeping.
- At the end of the academic semester or summer session, the student/employee must provide a copy of the course grade to Human Resources. Human Resources will verify grade and employment requirements.
- A copy of the approved application will be sent to the Bursar’s Office.