Angelo State Toastmasters Club
Visit the official club website:
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Toastmasters’ mission?
To empower individuals to become more effective communicators and leaders.
Do I need to contact a club before attending?
You can drop in, or feel free to contact the Office of Human Resources to confirm any time changes and to get meeting details.
Am I required to speak at a club meeting?
No. You are not obligated to speak when visiting a club. You may simply observe if you wish.
Is there a fee to attend a club meeting?
There are no fees to attend a meeting as a guest.
How long are club meetings?
The meetings are one hour.
Do I need to bring anything to a club meeting?
No. You are not required to bring anything to a meeting.
Is there a leader or instructor?
There is no instructor in a Toastmasters meeting. The club will have elected club officers present and a Toastmaster who facilitates the meeting.
Can anyone become a member?
The ASU Toastmasters Club is open to all ASU employees (make it your professional development goal for the year), as well as all San Angelo community members who are at least 18 years of age.
How much does it cost to become a member?
Members pay dues of $45 every six months. All new members also pay a one-time $20 fee.
Quick tips for beginners:
- Ask for a mentor, an experienced Toastmaster to help you with meeting roles and speeches.
- Study Project 1 in Competent Communication and the evaluation guide at the end of the project.
- Use stories, examples and anecdotes to craft a speech.
- Don’t overwhelm your audience with too much information.
- Practice speaking. Practice often.
- Begin and end every speech strongly.