Physical Therapy Prerequisites and Admission Requirements
Doctor of Physical Therapy Program Requirements
Applicants may contact the program for a transcript review for determination as to whether a course meets the prerequisite requirement or to determine if they qualify for the Early Admission process.
A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale must be earned on the prerequisites listed below. Last grade attained will be used for repeat prerequisite courses. Grades lower than “C” will not be accepted. Prerequisite courses older than 10 years will not be accepted.
Course Prerequisites Discipline Credit Hours General Course Description ASU Course Number Anatomy 4 Human Anatomy (or A&P I) BIO 2423 (includes lab) Physiology 4 Human Physiology (or A&P II) BIO 2424 (includes lab) Upper Division Science 4 General Physiology or Microbiology or Pathogenic Microbiology or Immunology or Histology or Developmental Biology BIO 4423 or BIO 3411 or BIO 3412 or BIO 3413 or BIO 3421 or BIO 4421 (includes lab) Chemistry 8 General Chemistry CHEM 1411 and CHEM 1412 (includes labs) Physics 8 General Physics PHYS 1401 and PHYS 1402 (includes labs) Psychology 6 General Psychology and Development Psychology or Abnormal or Behavioral Neuroscience
PSY 2301 and PSY 2304 or PSY 4305 or PSY 4313
Statistics 3-4 Statistical Techniques for Health Professionals or Statistics or Introduction to Biometry or Inter. Statistics and Research Methods NUR 4337 (preferred) or MATH 3321 or BIO 4480 or PSY 3321 Math
3-6 College Algebra or better
MATH 1314 or MATH 2312 or better Technical Writing* 3 Technical Writing (General composition does not count) ENG 3351 Medical Terminology 1-3 Medical terms, symbols and abbreviations BIO 2320, Online courses also accepted
* Or evidence of intensive writing course (please contact department for evaluation on whether course is deemed “writing intensive” by college) or minimum 4.5 score on GRE Analytical Writing. Freshman and Sophomore-level composition courses not accepted.
- Bachelor’s degree (Biology major or minor recommended) with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on 4.0 scale.
- Minimum of 50 volunteer/employment observation hours (at least two different settings, e.g. water therapy and pediatrics). A volunteer hours recording form is available on the D.P.T. website, but is not required. Any form turned in must have signature and license number of the supervising PT.
- Three recommendations (health related, academic and personal) must be submitted through PTCAS *If you have already reached your reference limit on PTCAS and still need a personal reference, then have your reference fill out the form and email/mail it to the College of Graduate Studies (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Essay (500 words or less)
- Report matching prerequisite courses through PTCAS
- GRE Scores
- Minimum 1000 total score on GRE Verbal + GRE Quantitative (prior GRE scale scores used and conversions available on the GRE website)
The GRE Analytical Writing sub test is scored on a scale of 1-6. This score is converted to the metric of the other sub tests as follows:
1.0-2.0 = 300
2.5 = 320
3.0 = 350
3.5 = 400
4.0 = 460
4.5 = 540
5.0 = 620
5.5 = 700
6.0 = 760
- Score minimum of 2500 points using the formula: (300 x overall undergraduate GPA or last 60 hours) + GRE Verbal + GRE Quantitative + GRE Analytical Writing Conversion (AWC). AWC available on DPT website. For formula purposes, the prior GRE scale scores are used.
* ASU DPT joining PTCAS beginning summer 2016 with Cohort 2017
- Applications will open in July 1 on PTCAS for the following:
- Early admission deadline is October 3rd.
- Regular admission deadline will be January 16th.
*ASU does not participate in PTCAS Early Decision program. Our early deadline is the difference between being interviewed and possibly selected for a position in the fall versus interview and possible selection in the spring.