Skip Navigation
Angelo State University
Department of Psychology, Sociology and Social Work

Search Site

Information for:

Sociology Degree Plan - Bachelor of Science

120 semester hours

Academic Major
Sociology 2301 3
Sociology 3325, 4301, 4161 7
Sociology (advanced) 12
Sociology (should be advanced if needed for 42 total advanced
hours requirement)

Other Requirements
Biology 1410, 1411, 1481, 1482, 2423, or 2424 8
Chemistry, Physical Science, Physics 6
Communication 2301 3
Computational and Applied Math 1351,
Mathematics 1302, 1324, 1332, 1333, 1351
Creative Arts:
Art 1301, 1302, 2301, 2302,
Honors 2302,
Music 1341, 1342, 1351, 1376,
Theatre 1311
English 1301, 1302 6
General Studies 1181 1
History 1301 and 1302 6
Language, Philosophy, and Culture:
Cultural Competence 2323,
English 2323, 2324, 2325, 2328, 2329,
Philosophy 2301, 2311
Psychology 2321 3
Political Science 2301 and 2302 6
Minor 18
Electives (should be advanced if needed to meet the 42 advanced hour requirement) 23

The above plan meets all core curriculum and Bachelor of Science degree requirements. The B.S. degree with a major in Sociology requires a minimum of 120 semester credit hours, a minimum of 42 advanced (junior and senior level) semester credit hours, and a minimum of 30 semester credit hours in residence (24 of which must be at the advanced level). 24 of the last 30 hours required to complete this degree must be taken in residence.

Concentration areas only apply to certain catalog terms. Students with a major in sociology, either Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science, have the option to select one or more concentrations from the list below. The concentration areas are designed to provide students with the opportunity to focus their studies and develop specific skill sets that are highly marketable in the workplace and in gaining admission to graduate programs. However, they do not constitute separate academic majors or minors, and they do not replace the requirement that students have a major and a minor.

The student who does wish to complete a concentration should take 12 semester credit hours in the selected area, as listed below. The sociology courses do count toward the major requirements as well as satisfying the concentration requirement. The student who does not wish to select one of the concentrations should merely complete the major requirements.

  • Social and Community Development: Sociology 3312, 3319, 3327, 4323; Political Science 3305 or Political Science 4311
  • Family and Life Course: Sociology 3315, 4327, 4331, 4332; Educational Psychology 3303 or Psychology 4335
  • Criminology and Deviance: Sociology 3341, 3343, 4325, 4341; Psychology 4319 or Criminal Justice 4330

Internship In Sociology

Internships are available during the fall and spring semesters to qualified students who have (a) completed at least 15 credit hours in SOCIOLOGY and (b) have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.50.

Upon acceptance as an intern, a faculty coordinator from the Department of Psychology, Sociology, and Social Work will consult with an appropriate representative of a human service agency or entity in the San Angelo area to arrange an internship assignment for the following fall or spring semester. Duties will be performed for the agency or entity under the supervision of the faculty coordinator and an appropriate representative from the field setting.

The intern will be evaluated by the faculty coordinator and the field-setting supervisor. Three semester hours of credit will be received for successful completion of 150 clock hours of internship experience, and six semester hours of credit will be received for successful completion of 300 clock hours. A maximum of three of these semester credit hours may be counted toward a major in Sociology.

To receive credit toward the major, sociology majors should register for Sociology 4371 or 4671. Students cannot receive credit for both internships. Admission to the internship requires approval by the internship coordinator and the Head of the Department of Psychology, Sociology and Social Work. Applications may be obtained in the main office of the department.