Skip Navigation
Angelo State University
Housing and Residential Programs

Search Site

Information for:


Housing Requirements

Am I required to live on campus?

Single undergraduate students with less than sixty (60) semester credit hours of college level work who enroll at ASU and carry a total of 12 or more semester credit hours at ASU and who do not live, or continue to live, at the full-time established residence of their parent(s) are required to reside in University-owned housing. Requests to commute from a parental residence from a distance of more than 100 miles must have approval from the Office of Residential Programs.

Note: Full-time established residence is defined as having proof of established full-time primary residence in San Angelo or within the approved 100 mile radius of the campus, for a minimum of one year prior to requesting exemption to the Housing policy.  Exceptions for employment or military transfer will be considered with supporting documentation. 

The following categories are eligible to petition for exemption to the university’s Housing Policy by making a written request and/or submitting the appropriate documentation to the Office of Housing and Residential Programs:

  1. Students living within 100 miles of San Angelo, Texas, at the full-time established residence of a grandparent or sibling *
  2. Students who are at least 21 years of age prior to the beginning of the subsequent fall or spring semester;
  3. Students who have lived in University-owned housing for four or more continuous long semesters; or
  4. Students who have at least six months of active duty military service.

*If requesting exemption based on living with a grandparent or sibling, in addition to meeting the requirements for full-time established residence, the sibling must meet at least ONE of the following exemption criteria:

  1. Be at least 21 years of age
  2. Have earned 60 or more semester credit hours

If residing in a rental property, siblings MUST be included on the same leasing contract together.

Other or “Special Circumstances” Exemption Requests

Students not meeting any of the above criteria may request exemption based on one of the defined Special Circumstances, by submitting a special circumstances exemption request, along with required supporting documentation, to the Office of Housing and Residential Programs. Please see “Housing Policy Exemption Forms and Instructions” below or in the right-hand side “More Information” column of this page.

Accepted types of special circumstances exemption requests include:

  • Financial Hardship
  • Marriage
  • 6+ months of Active Duty Miliary Assignment
  • Certified Medical Hardship directly related to living on campus
  • Enrolling for less than 12 hours each semester (See Housing Contractual Provisions below)
  • Other Special Circumstances

Housing Contractual Provisions

Students who lived on campus for the Fall semester: Enrolling for less than twelve (12) semester credit hours for the Spring semester will not release you from your Housing Contract.

Note: Your housing contract is legally binding. Requests for contract cancellation may have financial implications, including assessment of Liquidated Damage Charges. Please see your Student Housing Contractual Agreement Sections X and XII for details.

Requests for exemption to the ASU Housing Policy must be submitted along with all supporting documentation on or before August 1st for the Academic Year (Fall semester) and December 15th for the spring semester. Requests submitted past the above indicated deadlines may be denied on the basis of failing to meet the submission deadline. Incomplete requests WILL NOT be processed. If an incomplete request is submitted, it will be returned to you along with instructions for completing it.

Housing Policy Exemption Forms and Instructions.

Complete the required Housing Policy Exemption Requests forms and instructions.

Housing Exemption Requests: Decision and Appeals Processes

A University Housing Appeals Committee is available to review the decisions of the Office of Residential Programs when an appeal is made by a student whose request for an exemption has been denied.

If a registration hold has been placed on your record, you will be unable to register for classes until a decision has been reached on your request for exemption. This means that if you submit your request for exemption late, on or near the deadlines dates, or incomplete, you may not be able to register for classes until the next registration period (this period may or may not be prior to the start of the semester).

You should NOT make off-campus housing arrangements until you receive WRITTEN notification from the Office of Housing and Residential Programs that your request for exemption has been approved.

A student who gives false information concerning housing will be subject to disciplinary action, including possible suspension from the University. A student found to be living off-campus without approval from the Office of Housing and Residential Programs will be notified through their ASU student email account to move on campus. If this is not accomplished within ten (10) class days, the Director of Residential Programs will initiate disciplinary action.