Study Abroad Checklist
- Conduct a program search on the CIS website.
- Attend an information meeting.
- Check into financial aid and scholarships.
- Work on a budget for going abroad.
- Read blogs and comments from current participants on our website.
- Meet with your program director and/or academic advisor to discuss your plans, including courses of interest and possible equivalencies.
Applying to a Program
- Make sure you meet all requirements for your selected program.
- Apply early.
- Log on to RamPort
- Navigate to the Academics page
- Select Apply to Study Abroad button on the Study Abroad section
- Choose your program
- Prepare and submit your essay
- Wait for notice regarding acceptance status of your application
- Be sure you understand the refund policy.
- Be sure you understand that study abroad program costs do not include regular ASU tuition and fees.
- In RamPort, review and sign off on the Study Abroad Requirements and the International Studies Scholarship.
- Update your emergency contacts in RamPort.
- Check your ASU email account frequently for program updates.
- Keep track of all deadlines.
- Apply for a passport within 10 days of program acceptance notification.
- Apply for scholarships.
- Apply for financial aid (fill out the FAFSA if you have not already).
- Be prepared to pay three installment program costs:
- $500 is due Dec. 11.
- $1,500 is due Feb. 1.
- The final installment will be based on actual course costs, and the due date will be set by your program directors.
- Visit the ASU Health Clinic or make an appointment with your physician to complete the Health Clearance Form.
- Submit these materials to the CIS:
- Confidential Health History Form
- Health Clearance Form
- Passport copy
- Emergency Medical Treatment Form
- Complete your online pre-departure orientation.
- Visit the U.S. Department of State website to search for information about your destination.
- Register for your classes.
- Complete the Part I portfolio to submit to your director.
- Talk with your financial institution about accessing money abroad.
- Visit websites and read books about the country you will visit.
- Share your itinerary and contact information with family members.
- Learn about your location abroad so you can pack appropriately.
- Pay your tuition and fees before departing the U.S., if possible.
Back at Home
- Complete Part II of your portfolio and submit it to your director.
- Enter the CIS Photo Contest.
- Be an ambassador for ASU’s study abroad program.
Start thinking when, where and how you can travel abroad again!