Angelo State University undergraduates who are presenting the results of their research or creative work at national or regional professional conferences may request financial support to defray the costs of attendance at the conference. The Undergraduate Research Travel Form, together with the notice of acceptance from conference organizers and a memorandum of support from their faculty sponsors, should be submitted to the Office of Sponsored Projects at least fifteen days before the travel date.
We encourage all students who have a paper, poster, or scholarly creative work that has been accepted for presentation at a professional conference to apply for an award.
Rules and Regulations for Travel Funds
- Students must be presenting their own research/creative work and have received confirmation that they are on the program for the conference.
- Students must submit a copy of their notice of acceptance from conference organizers and a memorandum of support from their faculty sponsors. Faculty sponsors are responsible for managing the travel funds.
- Only one trip per student will be funded each year under this program, and students must request travel funds as early as possible to facilitate timely processing of travel arrangements. Honors Program students should consult with the Program Director for travel support specifically related to Honors initiatives.
- Students may request a maximum of $500 for in- or out-of-state travel. International travel will not be funded under this program.
- Students must electronically submit a one-page narrative describing the benefits of their experience to the Undergraduate Research Office within four (4) weeks of their return from the conference. Faculty sponsors are responsible for ensuring the narratives are submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org in a timely manner.
- Students receiving Undergraduate Research Travel Funds are strongly encouraged to present their research/creative work at ASU’s annual undergraduate research symposium.
- Students and faculty sponsors are responsible for adhering to ASU travel policies, including the following:
- If traveling by air, contact ASU’s Travel Office at 325-942-2725 for instructions on obtaining a price quote and purchasing the ticket.
- If traveling by car, enter the starting point and destination on the Rand McNally Mileage Calculatorand print the results. Mileage is reimbursed at the university’s current rate per mile. If multiple individuals are traveling to the same place, they must share a vehicle (4 per vehicle).
- Meals and lodging expenses may not exceed the university’s daily maximum rates. Information on these rates may be accessed in RamPort under the Travel Office Channel.
- Lodging (hotel) receipts must show a zero balance and include the name and address of the hotel, the student’s name, the single room rate, and a daily itemization of lodging charges.
- The following expenses will not be reimbursed: alcoholic beverages, entertainment costs, personal expenses (laundry service, excess baggage charges, telephone calls), and tips.
- Travel Expense Logs and receipts must be submitted within sixty (60) days of the travel, although earlier submission is highly encouraged.