Skip Navigation
Angelo State University
Veterans Educational and Transitional Services (VETS)

Search Site

Information for:

Chapter 33: Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008


The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for veterans with at least 90 days of total service on or after Sept. 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Benefits also may be transferred to children or spouses.

Basic Eligibility

You may be eligible if you served at least 90 total days on active duty after Sept. 10, 2001, and you are still on active duty or were honorably:

  • Discharged from active duty; or
  • Released from active duty and placed on the retired list; or
  • Released from active duty and transferred to the Fleet Reserve or Fleet Marine Corps Reserve; or
  • Released from active duty for further service in a reserve component of the Armed Forces.

You may also be eligible if you were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after Sept. 10, 2001.


Based on your length of active duty service, you are entitled to a percentage of the following:

  • Cost of tuition and fees, not to exceed the most expensive in-state undergraduate tuition at a public institution of higher education (paid to the school)
  • A monthly housing allowance* equal to the basic allowance for housing payable to a military E-5 with dependents, in the same zip code as your school
  • An annual books and supplies stipend of up to $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment**
  • A one-time $500 payment to certain people relocating from highly rural areas

This benefit is payable only for training at an institution of higher learning (IHL). It provides up to 36 months of education benefits, and benefits are generally payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.

*If you are enrolled exclusively in online training, you will not receive the housing allowance.
**If you are on active duty, you will not receive the housing allowance or books and supplies stipend.

Transfer of Benefits Option

Service members enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill Program are able to transfer unused educational benefits to their spouses or children. For more information, visit the Transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits to Dependents (TEB) page on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Special Note

If you are eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill, Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve or the Reserve Educational Assistance Program and you qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, you may make an irrevocable election to receive benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Once you elect to receive benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, you will no longer be eligible to receive benefits under the program from which you elected the Post-9/11 GI Bill.


To apply for Chapter 33 benefits, fill out this electronic application and contact the ASU VETS Center once you have completed it. If you would prefer not to use the electronic form, submit the application for VA Educational Benefits (form 22-1990) along with a copy of your discharge papers (DD214) to the ASU VETS Center in Room 113 of the Houston Harte University Center.

In addition, you need to request that a copy of your military transcripts be sent to the Office of Admissions, ASU Station #11014, San Angelo, TX 76909-1014. This can be done online at each branch of service, or prospective students can visit the ASU VETS Center for the application.

More Information

To learn more, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website or contact the ASU VETS Center at 325-486-VETS (8387).

Stipend for Military Veterans

Effective Oct. 1, 2011, the Post-9/11 GI Bill pays a housing stipend to students enrolled solely in online classes. The stipend is half the national average of BAH for an Eā€“5 with dependents ā€“ $673.50 per month for 2011.

  • Apply for Benefits

    New and transfer veteran and dependent students may apply for VA Education Benefits in the VETS Center in Room 113 of the Houston Harte University Center.

    ASU VETS Center
    Phone: (325) 486-VETS (8387)
    Fax: (325) 942-2080

Order a New Copy of a DD214

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Ave
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
Phone: (314) 801-0800