Skip Navigation
Office of Communications and Marketing
Member, Texas Tech University System The Princeton Review - 373 Best Colleges, 2011 Edition

October 2007

Release Date: October 12, 2007

ASU Administration Building to Carry Name of Pioneer Mayer Family

Because of longstanding contributions by the Solomon “Sol” Mayer family to Angelo State University, the Board of Regents of the Texas Tech University System on Friday voted to designate the ASU Administration Building as the Mayer Administration Building.

The decision means that the Mayer name, which has been a fixture on the campus since 1951 when Mayer Hall was authorized as a new dormitory, will remain tied to a university facility. The vacant Mayer Hall is scheduled for demolition later this academic year as part of the university’s Centennial Master Plan.

ASU President Joseph C. Rallo said, “This building designation is appropriate because of the Mayer family’s historic commitment to Angelo State and because the Administration Building is one of the original buildings on today’s campus.”

Rallo noted that the name change will be reflected in new signage being installed on campus.

Sol Mayer, who lived the majority of his life in West Texas, was active in the growth of the region. He served as chairman of the San Angelo College (SAC) Building and Development Campaign, which raised money to support the move of the campus from North Oakes Street to its current location. He had donated more than $25,000 to the project by the time the new dorm was named.

The Administration Building, originally known as the Main Building, was constructed with funds from a local bond issue and opened Jan. 22, 1949. However, San Angelo residents wanted more for the college than the bond monies could provide so Mayer chaired the SAC Building and Development Campaign, which kicked off in 1947 to provide additional funds to the new campus. The construction of Mayer and Runnels Halls made SAC one of the first junior colleges in the country to build dormitories.

Born in 1869, Mayer held extensive ranching interests in Sutton, Schleicher, Edwards, Jeff Davis and Pecos Counties at the time of his death in 1957. He was also a banker involved in organizing the First National Bank of Eldorado, San Angelo National Bank, Security State Bank of Pecos and Ozona National Bank and holding numerous other banking interests. During his lifetime, Mayer made significant gifts to SAC, the West Texas Boys’ Ranch, the Tom Green County Library and many other area charities.

Sol Mayer had one son, Edwin S. Mayer, who died in 1963. He and his wife, Minnie, had five children: Edwin S. Mayer Jr., Ralph P. Mayer, Robert F. Mayer, Doris Jane Mayer and Richard G. Mayer. The five grandchildren of Sol Mayer had 12 children of their own. Several of the grandchildren and great-grandchildren of Sol Mayer still live in San Angelo and the surrounding area.

Collectively, the grandchildren of Sol Mayer, along with the E.S. Mayer & Sons, LTD. and Mayer Ranch Company, have given generously to the university throughout its history.