Skip Navigation
Angelo State University
Office of Communications and Marketing

Search Site

Information for:

April 2008

Release Date: April 8, 2008

ASU’s De Le�n Named an Inaugural Fellow of West Texas Historical Association

Dr. Arnoldo De Le�n, a member of the Angelo State University history faculty since 1973, has been named one of the inaugural fellows of the West Texas Historical Association (WTHA) in recognition of his outstanding contributions to the study of Texas and Tejano history.

De Le�n, the C.J. “Red” Davidson Professor of History at ASU, was one of three Texas scholars and teachers to be designated as an inaugural fellow by the organization devoted to the preservation of West Texas history. He received the honor April 5 during WTHA’s annual meeting in Canyon. Designation as a fellow is the highest academic honor an organization can bestow upon an individual.

He is the author or co-author of 17 books, including the well-received The Tejano Community, 1836-1900 and They Called Them Greasers: Anglo Attitudes Toward Mexicans in Texas, 1821-1900. He is one of three authors of the major college textbook The History of Texas and one of four contributors to Texas and Texans, a seventh grade history textbook.

De Le�n has been called a leading historian on Mexican-Americans in Texas and one of the foremost authorities on the subject in the entire country. In addition to Mexican-American history, his areas of specialization include Texas history and Latin American history.

Besides his most recent honor, he is also a fellow of the Texas State Historical Association and a member of the Texas Institute of Letters. He has also been a research fellow in the Mexican-American Studies Visiting Scholars Program at the University of Houston.

De Le�n earned his bachelor’s degree from ASU before completing his master’s and doctoral degrees in history at Texas Christian University.

WTHA was organized in 1924 in Abilene and every year since has published the WTHA Yearbook and conducted an annual meeting in communities throughout West Texas. WTHA was headquartered at Hardin-Simmons University in Abilene until 1996 when the association moved its editorial offices to Texas Tech University. The administrative offices followed in 1998.

Also named WTHA fellows were Paul Carlson, professor of history at Texas Tech University, and Lou Rodenberger, professor emeritus of English at McMurry University.


image