Release Date: January 25, 2008
Ceremony to Add Mayer Name to ASU Administration Building
The name of West Texas pioneer and San Angelo College patron Solomon “Sol” Mayer will be added to the title of the Angelo State University Administration Building during a re-dedication ceremony at 1:30 p.m. Thursday in front of the building at 2601 W. Avenue N.
The dedication ceremony will include remarks by ASU President Dr. Joseph C. Rallo and Suzanne Campbell, head of the West Texas Collection, on Mayer’s impact on ASU and West Texas.
Doris Mayer Rousselot, granddaughter of the building namesake, will give a brief response from the family. Rousselot will be joined at the ceremony by Edwin S. Mayer Jr., Ralph P. Mayer and Richard Mayer, grandsons of the Mayer patriarch.
At the conclusion of the remarks, a sign will be unveiled by Mayer's great-great-grandson and namesake Sol Mayer, designating the structure as the “Sol Mayer Administration Building.”
Regents of the Texas Tech University System in October voted to add the Mayer designation to the ASU Administration Building because of longstanding contributions by the Mayer family to Angelo State.
As a result, the Mayer name, which has been a fixture on the campus since 1950 when Mayer Hall was authorized as a new dormitory, will remain tied to a university facility. The vacant Mayer Hall was demolished in January.
ASU President Rallo said, “This building designation is appropriate because of the Mayer family’s historic commitment to Angelo State and because the Administration Building is one of the original buildings on today’s campus.”
Sol Mayer, who lived the majority of his life in West Texas, was active in the growth of the region. He served as chairman of the San Angelo College (SAC) Building and Development Campaign, which raised money to support the move of the campus from North Oakes Street to its current location. He had donated more than $25,000 to the project by the time the new dorm was named.
The Administration Building, originally known as the Main Building, was constructed with funds from a local bond issue. A dedication ceremony for the new campus was held in May 1948.
However, San Angelo residents wanted more for the college than the bond monies could provide so Mayer chaired the SAC Building and Development Campaign, which kicked off in 1947 to provide additional funds to the new campus. The construction of Mayer and Runnels Halls made SAC one of the first junior colleges in the country to build dormitories.
Born in 1869, Mayer held extensive ranching interests in Sutton, Schleicher, Edwards, Jeff Davis and Pecos Counties at the time of his death in 1957. He was also a banker involved in organizing the First National Bank of Eldorado, San Angelo National Bank, Security State Bank of Pecos and Ozona National Bank and holding numerous other banking interests. During his lifetime, Mayer made significant gifts to SAC, the West Texas Boys’ Ranch, the Tom Green County Library and many other area charities.
Sol Mayer had one son, Edwin S. Mayer, who died in 1963. He and his wife, Minnie, had five children, who eventually had 12 children of their own. Several of the grandchildren and great-grandchildren of Sol Mayer still live in San Angelo and the surrounding area.
Collectively, the grandchildren of Sol Mayer, along with the E.S. Mayer & Sons, LTD. and the Mayer Ranch Company, have given generously to the university throughout its history.