Release Date: July 27, 2004
Historic Structures Featured in West Texas Collection Display
A new exhibition titled "Historic Buildings of San Angelo" will debut during the annual meeting of the Friends of the Porter Henderson Library and West Texas Collection (WTC) on Tuesday, Aug. 3, at Angelo State University.
The display will feature wood carvings by local craftsman Ted Disko of 19 buildings and residences as well as historical descriptions researched and written by the WTC staff on each structure. Buildings highlighted in the display will be two Tom Green County Courthouses, the hospital at Fort Concho, three 19th century businesses, the Texan Theater and a dozen local residences.
The Friends meeting will begin at 6 p.m. Aug. 3 in the West Texas Collection foyer on the second floor of ASU's Houston Harte University Center, 1910 Rosemont.
After a brief Friends business meeting at 6 p.m., the display will be opened for viewing. The meeting and exhibit are open free to the public. Refreshments will be served.
Featured government or commercial buildings and the years of their construction or use are: Fort Concho Hospital (1871); Tom Green County Courthouse (1884-85); San Angelo National Bank (1884); Johnson & Taylor Building (1885); Schwartz & Raas Building (1886); Tom Green County Courthouse (1928-present); and Texas Theater (1929).
Residences represented in the exhibit are: Brown Home, 1004 Pecos (1906); Broome Home, 123 S. David (1907); Henderson Home, 207 S. Park (1907); Walsh Home, 922 Pecos (1908); Brewer Home, 3 N. Washington (1908); Allen/Hartgrove Home, 528 S. Orient (1909); Powell Home, 421 W. Twohig (1910); Hughes Home, 1104 Beauregard (1914); Cowden Home, 404 S. Park (1927); Neill Home, 410 S. Park (1927); Robbins Home, 910 Austin (1927); and Vaughan Home, 221 Glenmore (1937).
Individuals seeking additional information on the exhibit or the Friends of the Library may call the West Texas Collection at 942-2164