LockDown Browser Update
LockDown Broswer has released an update to fix multiple bugs that have been occuring. Students will need to do the following:
1. Log into the LockDown Browser
2. Click on the ‘i’ button at the top of the screen
3. Click on “Get Newer Version”
4. Click on “Get Update”
5. PC Users should be using version 1.0.6.02 of LockDown Browser.
Students can also call the IT Service Center at 325-942-2911 or elearning at 325-486-6263 for assistance in upgrading.
Content Editor - March 24
- Pasting into a discussion board (both students and faculty) from an outside source like MS Word can add extra (hidden) xml content that can interfere with the rendering of subsequent posts. In some cases it can even cause IE, Chrome and Safari to lockup when loading the post.
- When editing a discussion post in Chrome, the content editor will be filled with the contents of the first post. In some cases you may find that your reply to another student appears as a draft in the current reply.
We are currently working with the vendor towards a permanent fix, however we do have a work around in place for the issues above. While we are working toward resolution, we are encouraging Blackboard users to leverage the Firefox browser. The way the Firefox browser displays content allows for users to avoid the rendering issues as detailed above.
Common best practices for using the content editor:
- Students should submit documents that have do NOT have a title with more than 120 characters including spaces and no special (#,$%&*) characters.
- When content is copied/pasted into Blackboard content editor, make sure to copy and paste from Note Pad before pasting into Blackboard.
- When in doubt check the HTML button on the 3rd row of icons in Blackboard. When you toggle to HTML view you may edit out any extra xml code that appears on the screen.
- We encourage you to use the content editors formatting tools.
If you need assistance with installing this browser or have questions, please contact the IT Service Center at 325-942-2911.
Beginning on Sunday, March 30, 2014 from 12:15 am – 1:00am we will conducting maintenance to fix the discussion board issues that have been identified in our previous note. As a general best practice we encourage users to utilize Notepad when copying content into the content editor.
Issues with Apostrophes in filenames
Issues with Apostrophes in filenames-July 25
The problem occurs when a student submits an assignment with an attachment that has an apostrophe in the filename. When attempting to view the submission within the inline grading viewer “Loading… Please wait while we render this file” appears. The “error” remains on the page and does not render the file, even though it is a supported file type.
Users should avoid including special characters in file names. However, when clicking the file’s name under Submission on the right side of the inline grading screen, the file will render. Instructors will have to either clear the students attempt and have them rename the filename and resubmit, or they will need to download the file and post the grade as an override grade. The apostrophe disables the ability to post the grade on the Inline Grading Page.
Firefox Secure and Unsecure Content
Firefox and web content–August 27
Recently Firefox made some changes to the browser. Web content that is “http” will not display in our Blackboard Environment unless the content is “https”.
Go to your content in Blackboard and adjust the web content to have a source of “https”. If the content is videos, such as Kaltura you will need to have the content changed to support “https”. For video assistance call the eLearning Center at x6263
LockDown Browser - March 28, 2013
Essay questions appear blank
Users accessing the LockDown Browser in Internet Explorer 11 will notice that essay questions will not appear with the content editor box. There is not a box to type answers into.
Users who are using Internet Explorer 11 should consider using Internet Explorer 9 or 10 when utilizing LockDown Browser exams. Monday, March 31, 2014 a fix will be released for this issue.