Parent PLUS Loan Application Process
PLUS Credit Checks Now Valid for 90 Days as of Feb. 1
Following a late 2012 increase to 180 days to assist PLUS applicants who were impacted by changes to the PLUS approval process, the window for PLUS credit checks has now reverted to 90 days as of Feb. 1, 2013. May 29, 2013 is the earliest that parents should apply for the PLUS for Fall 2013-Spring 2014 to avoid the credit decision expiring.
Angelo State University participates in Direct Lending. All parent PLUS Loan borrowers must complete the studentloans.gov process when a PLUS Loan is awarded.
- Student receives PLUS award notification from Angelo State University.
- Student enters online acceptance of the PLUS award via Rams or Ramport.
- Parent borrower logs on to studentloans.gov using the parent’s social security number, parent date of birth and the parent PIN from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and completes the required credit check by clicking on the “Request PLUS Loan” link and entering the required information. Detailed instructions on requesting a PLUS Loan application.
- The parent borrower will be instantly notified whether their credit is approved denied.
- The Dept. of Education will send ASU the credit response (approval/denial) electronically within 2–3 business days.
|Click here if your credit was approved||Click here if your credit was denied|
If any questions arise during the completion of the studentloans.gov process, please contact the Department of Education’s Applicant Services at 800-557-7394.