Detailed Instructions for the PLUS Application Process
Please be aware that once the Parent PLUS Application has been submitted, and you realize there is a mistake, you cannot sign back on to make corrections, delete it or cancel it. However, if you have not submitted your application, you may save it at any point, and continue working on it at a later time. If you have completed the application in error, you will need to contact the Financial Aid office to inform us that you do not want to proceed with the PLUS loan.
When completing step 1, please note that when you are required to enter numbers (driver’s license, social security number, etc.), do not use any symbols (for example: @, &, etc.), or extra spaces, as the website will view them as invalid characters.
Note: Please ensure that you are entering correct student information on this step, or you may receive the following error message: “The information you provided on the student(s) below differs from our records. Verify that the data you have entered is correct. If you select continue without making changes, the data currently on our system will be overwritten.”
- Parent borrower goes to studentloans.gov and clicks the green ‘Sign In’ button, located at the top left under ‘Manage My Direct Loan’. If you do not see the green sign-in button, you may not be using a supported browser. To make sure your computer is compatible with the site, go to ‘Learn More’ at the top of the page, and click on ‘What You Need for Direct Loans.’ If you are using a browser that is not supported, your view and interaction with this site may be significantly impaired.
- Sign in using the parent’s social security number, first two characters of parent last name, parent date of birth and the parent pin from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Each borrower, including parents for a Parent PLUS loan, must have their own unique pin, and sign in using their own information. Note: When you sign in to the website, do not enter dashes with your social security number or it will generate a “Contact pin Customer Service” error.
- Once you are signed in, you will see ‘Personal Information’ located on the right side of the page. If you have “I would like to receive my correspondence electronically” selected, make sure your email address is entered twice. If you do not have an email address, uncheck the box requesting for electronic correspondence, and click ‘Update’.
- Before you begin the PLUS Loan Request, you will be required to indicate if you are currently in a default/overpay status. If you indicate that you are in a default/overpay status, you will not be able to proceed with the Parent PLUS Loan Request.
- Choose citizenship status. If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident/eligible non-U.S. citizen, you will not be eligible for a Parent PLUS loan. For more information regarding the citizenship requirements, click on “Why do we ask?”
- Enter your driver’s license. If you do not have a driver’s license, you can leave this blank.
- Enter your permanent address, evening telephone number and email address.
- Enter your employer’s name and address. If you do not have an employer, please check the box that states, “I do not have an employer”.
- Click ‘Save and Exit’ or ‘Continue’ to the next step.
- Pull down the ‘Award Year’ tab and select the year you are applying for.
- If you have already registered students, please select from the list. Otherwise, enter the student’s information. Please verify you are entering the SSN and DOB in the correct formats. The SSN should consist of 9 digits (excluding any dashes or spaces) and the Date of Birth should be placed in the format of mmddyyyy (the system will automatically enter dashes in between the month, day, and year of the DOB). If you have more than one student you are applying for select “Add Another Student” from the bottom of the page. Complete the above steps adding the information for the additional student.
- Next, you will be asked, “Do you want to defer repayment of your Direct PLUS Loan while the student on whose behalf you obtained the loan is enrolled at an eligible school on at least a half-time basis?,” Choose ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.
The next question you will need to answer is, “If there is a credit balance after your Direct PLUS Loan has been applied to the student’s school account, to whom do you want the school to pay the credit balance?” Please choose one option between ‘Me’ or ‘The Student.’
- Enter the school and loan information. Make sure the ‘School State’ field matches the correct state that the school is located in, and then select the school name. If a red circle with an ‘X’ appears (Error message: This school is not participating in the Direct PLUS loan request process) after you select the school name, this means that the school does not participate in the electronic Parent PLUS application process. Please contact the Financial Aid Office to determine how they would like you to apply.
- Indicate the loan amount you would like to borrow. You may choose if you want to borrow the maximum Direct Parent PLUS Loan amount for which you are eligible, as determined by the school, you may specify a loan amount, or you may contact the school to determine a loan amount.
- Specify the loan period for which you are requesting a Direct PLUS loan. Click on the dropdown box under ‘Requested Loan Period Start Date’ ‘to enter the month and year. Then click on the dropdown box under ‘Requested Loan Period End Date’ to enter the month and year.
- If you would like to enter another school, you may do so by clicking on ‘Add Another School.’
- Click ‘Save and Exit’ or ‘Continue’ to move on to the next step.
- Review all information provided and verify that it is correct prior to submitting the loan application. If any of the information is incorrect, you may modify it by clicking on the ‘Edit’ button next to each section.
- Click ‘Save and Exit’ or ‘Continue’ to move on to the next step.
- Check the box that states, “For each loan that I request under this application, I authorize the Department of Education to investigate my credit record and report information about my loans to persons and organizations permitted by law to receive that information.” Then select ‘Continue.’ Your PLUS application cannot be submitted without a credit check. Your credit check results will be sent as part of the application to the school(s) you have selected.
After you click on ‘Continue,’ an image will appear on the screen indicating that the request is being processed. Once the request is complete, the next screen will show you the results of your credit decision.
Go back to the Parent PLUS application steps.