Satisfactory Academic Progress Help
Did you receive an e-mail from the Financial Aid Office telling you that you are not meeting the satisfactory academic progress (SAP) policy?
There are three main reasons you may not be making SAP:
- Students must complete a certain percentage of the classes they attempt
- Students must maintain a certain grade point average (GPA)
- Students are only allowed financial aid for a certain number of hours
You fall into one of these categories, or maybe a combination of them. To view the policy, click the link above.
What You Must Do Now
In order to regain eligibility for financial aid you can do one of two things:
- Pay out of pocket until you improve your situation and regain eligibility
- File an appeal (filing an appeal does not guarantee reinstatement of eligibility)
How to File an Appeal
If you feel that you had a special circumstance within the last 12 months that prevented you from making SAP, you can file an appeal. Some examples of special circumstances are the death of a close friend or family member, hospitalization or serious illness, legal issues, or other events of that magnitude over which you had no control. You will also need to provide backup documentation (e.g. obituaries, hospital bills, court orders) to substantiate your special circumstance. Please note that if your reason for filing an appeal is not deemed a special circumstance, your appeal will be automatically denied. The decision of the appellate committee is final.
- Go to the Angelo State University webpage.
- Select the Paying for College link.
- Click on Financial Aid on the left side of the webpage.
- Scroll down and click on Forms and Applications located under More Information on the left side of the webpage.
- Click on the SAP Appeal pdf form located toward the bottom of the webpage.
- Fill out the form in its entirety. Incomplete forms will not be processed.
- Provide your backup documentation to support your extenuating circumstance in one of the following manners: fax your complete form to 325-942-2082, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring it by the Financial Aid Office in the Hardeman Building 101.
- Once your appeal is under review, your SAP status in RamPort will show “Appeal in review”
- Please allow *at least* ten days from the time your supporting documentation is received for the committee to review your appeal.
- Check your SAP status in RamPort.
How to Check Your SAP Status in RamPort
- Log in to your RamPort
- Navigate to the Rams icon located at the top right of the page
- Select the Financial Aid tab
- Select the Financial Aid Status link
- In the Select Aid Year, choose the appropriate aid year