Spring 2014 Fitness Challenge
Making Small Changes to Improve your Health in a Big Way (February 9-March 1, 2014)
Can you accomplish one of the 40 goals below?
What about all of them in three weeks? Sign up for this semester’s ASUFit Fitness Challenge and complete as many of the tasks below to earn your team points. If your team is one of the top three teams, you’ll all win a prize!
Final Standings (Overall Winner is Team “Rock with Soul”)
|Captain||# of Teammates||Teammates|
|LunaTechs||Katie Dixon||7||Kevin Conner, Employee; Jody Casares, Employee; Elizabeth Randell, Employee; Katie Plum, Employee; Kristi Wolff, Employee; Katie Dixon, employee; Kathe Conner, Employee|
|Rama Lama Lama||Casey Baccus||11||Ashley Baccus-employee, Justine Salgado-employee, Gary Salgado-employee, Kelsey Samsel-employee, Josh Samsel-alumni, Crystal Nelms-employee, Nancy Grafa-employee, Anne San Miguel-employee, Manuel San Miguel-employee, Sarah Estevis-student, Casey Baccus-employee|
|Power Puffs||Melissa Farr||5||Adriana Balcorta Havins (employee), Dezaray Johnson (employee) Jonna Russell (graduate assistant), Mary Anne Lowe (employee)|
|Global ASU||Paula Dowler||9||Elva Aguilar, employee, Paula Dowler, employee, Linda Elizondo, employee, Mary Hunter, Staff, Ron Landers, employee, Sasha Mabika, Student, Tanya Mombeyarara,, Student, Meghan Pace, employee, Sharynn Tomlin, employee|
|Wii Fit||Amy Williamson||9||Mary McGlamery Employee, Alaric Williams Employee, Lesley Casarez Employee, Kim Livengood Employee, Mandy Osborne Employee, Christine Pruitt Employee, Wendy Storms Employee, Kevin Fowler Employee|
|Rock with Soul||Marva Solomon||9||Marva Solomon - employee, Heather Maher - student, Patty Rush - student, Donna Gee - employee, Sandra Maxedon - employee, Charlene Bustos - employee, Amanda Dawson - student, DJ Ruffin - student, Deborah Banker - employee|
|Survival of the Fittest||Robert Dowler||11||Employees: Robert Dowler, Connie Russell, Scott Burt, Michael Griffin, Marcy Revelez; students: Clint Walker, Zachary Ellsworth, Grayson Allred, Malorri Hughes, Robby Heischman, Stephanie Martinez|
|Maxcore!||Gabriela Serrano||5||Gabriel Serrano, employee; Maggie Blair, employee; Tony Blair, employee; Kevin Garrison, employee; Katherine Garrison, employee|
|The Waist Watchers||Angie Fraga||6||Employees: Erika Baeza, Robert Garcia, Farrah Lokey, Vickie Rodriguez, Angie Fraga; Students: Kayla Langseth|
- Form teams of 5 people or more (no more than 12 per team), elect a team captain who will report weekly to ASUFit, and create a team name. Register your team with an online form on the ASUFit Web site.
- Individuals on your team will try to accomplish as many goals below (you can also use the checklist on this flyer) before the challenge ends. They can only report each goal once during the entire Challenge. They will report the number points that they receive from those goals each week to their team captain.
- Each week, the team captain will average their team’s total number of points and fill out the online form on the ASUFit Web site.
- Top 3 teams at ASU will be awarded prizes.
Goals (1 point each)
- Give up sugary drinks (soda and sports drinks) for 1 week (here’s why)
- Give up coffee for 1 week (here’s why)
- Give up alcohol for 1 week (here’s why)
- Drink at least eight 8-oz glasses of water every day for 5 days (ASUFit Water bottle is 30 oz)
- Replace four dinners with a vegetable salad (like these).
- Make your lunch for five days (no frozen ready-made meals) (here are some examples).
- Replace your normal desserts and snacks with a piece of fruit for 1 week (here’s why).
- Eliminate sugar (glucose, sucrose, cane sugar, corn syrup, etc) for one day (here’s why).
- Eliminate desserts for a week (here’s why).
- Keep a food journal for one day (try this paper version, or this free online version).
- Read this article about flu shots.
- Watch this video clip on beginning running.
- Watch this video on the importance of sleep.
- Take this heart attack risk assessment.
- Volunteer for a local running or biking event (see the SARL or the SABA Web sites).
- Run or walk 1M without stopping.
- Take a 15 minute or more walk during your lunch break every day for one week.
- Run or walk a local road or trail race (try one of these on the ASUFit Web site calendar).
- Stand up (or move around) for 10 minutes every hour for one day.
Other Endurance Activities
- Count the number of calories that you’re burning during exercises for 1 week (try this online calculator).
- Play a round of disc golf (here are instructions and a map of ASU’s course).
- Swim 400 meters at one time.
- Bike (indoors or outside) for 30 minutes straight.
- Hike one of the trails at the San Angelo State Park
(visit the park Web site, trail maps available at the gate)
- Do 20 push-ups in a row (full or on your knees).
- Do 20 squats in a row without weights (see this video for instructions).
- Do 10 burpees in a row (see this video for instructions).
- Do 30 crunches in a row (see this video for instructions).
- Do 30 sit-ups in a row (see this video for instructions).
Stress Relief and Positive Thinking
- Track how many hours of sleep you’re getting for 1 week (try this sleep journal).
- Follow along with this 15 minute yoga video.
- Follow along with this Tai Chi exercise.
- Make a list of 20 things that you like about yourself and post it where you can see it every day.
- Follow along with this exercise video to help with the stress of sitting for long periods of time.
Medical Checkups and Hygiene
- Floss your teeth every day for one week (here’s why).
- Brush your teeth twice a day for one week (here’s why).
- Schedule your yearly physical with your doctor (here’s why).
- Get your blood pressure checked (for a free check, try CVS Pharmacy)
- Get your flu shot (through the ASU health clinic (employees and students only) or contact your insurance provider for where you may receive a free flu shot).
- Take your resting heart rate (here’s how).
The following teams will be awarded for their great efforts after the Challenge ends on March 1.
- 1st place team at ASU: Fitness bags
- 2nd place team at ASU: Coming soon!
- 3rd place team at ASU: Coming soon!