Academic Health Plans/Affordable Care Act (ACA)
Angelo State University students have the option to purchase student health insurance provided by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas.
Academic Health Plans
The plan, referenced above, is offered to current ASU students (that meet eligibility requirements) and does fulfill the requirements of the Affordable Care Act.
Affordable Care Act (ACA).
The payment of the compulsory Medical Services Fee at ASU and the use of the University Clinic does not satisfy the requirements of the ACA.
Options for students to meet ACA requirements:
- Per the ACA, parents may keep their student(s) on their insurance plan at work until the date that they reach age 26.
- Students may purchase the insurance plan offered in this website from Academic HealthPlans as this policy meets ACA requirements.
- Students may purchase a catastrophic health insurance plan up until age 30 that satisfies the ACA requirements.
Please feel free to contact David Rosipal, 325-486-6736, for more information.
Review your options and answer a few questions to learn if you qualify for lower costs.
- Help will be available in the Marketplace
- Toll-free call center: 24/7, 150 languages
- 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325)
- Website chat 24/7 (English and Spanish)
- Help in-person, navigators, other trained enrollment assisters
Note: You may be eligible to get lower costs right away to help you pay for insurance in the Marketplace (individuals with incomes less than $45,960 or families of four with incomes less than $94,200).
Can I buy a “catastrophic” plan to lower costs?
People under 30 and some people with limited incomes may buy what is called a “catastrophic” health plan. It protects you from very high medical costs.
A catastrophic plan generally requires you to pay ALL of your medical costs up to a certain amount, usually several thousand dollars. Costs for essential health benefits over that are generally paid by the insurance company.
These policies usually have lower premiums than a comprehensive plan, but cover you only if you need a lot of care. They basically protect you from worst-case scenarios.
Marketplace catastrophic plans cover prevention
In the Marketplace, catastrophic policies cover three primary care visits per year at no cost. They also cover free preventive benefits.
Catastrophic plans for people with limited incomes
People 30 and over with low incomes for whom other insurance is not considered affordable or who have received a hardship exemption from the fee may be able to buy these catastrophic plans in the Marketplace.
Learn if you qualify in the Marketplace
When you fill out a Marketplace application you’ll see catastrophic plans listed as options if you qualify for them. If you don’t qualify for a catastrophic plan, you won’t see them as an option.