2013 Presentations and Articles
Jose Bowen- Teaching Naked: Friday, February 8, 2013
How Moving Technology Out of Your College Classroom Will Improve Student Learning (Keynote): 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
- Learn the benefits of using technology outside of the classroom while keeping a face-to-face (naked) interaction in class.
- Create more class time by preparing students with online material.
- Engage students with interactive materials such as online quizzes, assignments, games, or working in online communities.
E-Communication And Social Media for Student Engagement(Faculty Session): 1:15 PM - 3:00 PM
- Investigate why, when, and how to use e-communication.
- Compare the solutions and problems created by Facebook.
- Discover how to create virtual learning communities.
- Develop an e-communication policy.
- Explore new ways to extend the classroom with Skype.
- Turn your office hours into learning hours (and do it from home).
- Improve motivation and diversity with virtual learning communities.
Dr. John Shupp - Veterans Resource Centers On Campus: How to Create, Staff, & Fund a Thriving Center: Friday, January 25th, 2013 - Hardeman 206
- A Veterans Resource Center (VRC) is a powerful way to assist those who defend our country and help them transition successfully to college once they return home.
Roger P. Buck, PhD - Supporting Military Veterans: How to Develop an Effective Academic Advising Protocol: Wednesday, February 13th, 2013 - Vets Center (previously the Student Support Center)
- Military Veterans returning as students to the campus environments need a certain level of support as well as key academic services to help ensure that they have a successful, long-lasting experience.
Dr. John Shupp – Establishing a Campus-Wide Veterans-to-Veteran Mentoring Program on Your Campus: Friday, February 22nd, 2013 – Vets Center (previously the Student Support Center)
- A student Veteran to student Veteran mentoring program has the potential to have a significant impact on campuses and communities across the country, both financially and transitionally.
Irma Rios – The Real Life Crime Scene Investigation: Friday, February 22, 2013 – UC 110-111
- Interested in a career in Forensics? Want to know how to make it happen? Bring a lunch and join us as we learn all about the field from Irma Rios, Crime Lab Director for Houston Police Department.
Marilla Svinicki – Six Checkpoints for Motivation In Learning: Friday, March 22, 2013 – Junell Center VIP Room (Jun 219)
- Review six of the most frequently cited sources of motivation and apply them to the everyday practice of teaching in the postsecondary classroom.
- Identify at least six ideas about how to take advantage of what motivation theories have to offer in very concrete terms for your own classes.
- California State University – LEAD IV Summit: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 – CJ Davidson Center 10:00 AM
- Various guest speakers and events, live from California State University.