Library Databases for ASU Guests & Visitors
Description: Comprehensive scholarly, multidisciplinary database, featuring more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. This database also offers indexing and abstracts for more than 12,500 journals and 13,200 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc.
Information coverage spans a broad range of important areas of academic study such as anthropology, astronomy, biology, chemistry, civil engineering, engineering, ethnic & multicultural studies, geology, law, materials science, mathematics, music, pharmaceutical sciences, physics, psychology, religion & theology, veterinary science, women’s studies, zoology, and many other fields.
Service Provider: EBSCOhost®
Description: Contain the rich, comprehensive material found in leading historic periodicals and books. Eyewitness accounts of historical events, vivid descriptions of daily life, editorial observations, commerce as seen through advertisements, and genealogical records are available in a user-friendly online environment.
Service Provider: Accessible Archives
Description: Full text of every article ever published by the Association for Computing Machinery, and bibliographic citations from major publishers in computing.
Service Provider: Association for Computing Machinery
Description: Access the full-text of all titles published by the American Chemical Society
- Over 40 peer-reviewed journals stretching across a broad spectrum of disciplines in all fields of chemistry and sciences that involve chemistry
- Chemical and Engineering News weekly online magazine, with articles covering science and technology, business and industry, government and policy, education, and employment aspects of the chemistry field
- ACS Legacy Archives, containing all titles, volumes, issues, and articles published by the ACS from 1879 to 1995
- ACS Symposium Series, a collection of high-quality, peer-reviewed books developed from the ACS technical divisions’ symposia
Service Provider: American Chemical Society
Description: Collection of approximately 270 U.S. newspapers chronicling a century and a half of the African American experience.
Coverage spans life in the Antebellum South; the spread of abolitionism; growth of the Black church; the Emancipation Proclamation; the Jim Crow Era; the Great Migration to northern cities, the West and Midwest in search of greater opportunity; rise of the N.A.A.C.P.; the Harlem Renaissance; the Civil Rights movement; political and economic empowerment and more.
Provider: Readex (NewsBank)
Description: AgEcon Search: Research in Agricultural and Applied Economics collects, indexes, and electronically distributes full text copies of scholarly research in the broadly defined field of agricultural economics including sub disciplines such as agribusiness, food supply, natural resource economics, environmental economics, policy issues, agricultural trade, and economic development.
The majority of items in AgEcon Search are working papers, conference papers, and journal articles, although other types of works, such as books chapters and government documents are included.
AgEcon Search is co-sponsored by the Department of Applied Economics and the University Libraries at University of Minnesota and the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
Service Provider: University of Minnesota
Description: Provides access to more than 4.8 million bibliographic records from the U.S. Department o Agriculture’s National Agricultural Library. Works cited include journal articles, book chapters, monographs, theses, patents, software, audiovisual materials, and technical reports related to agriculture.
This database encompasses all aspects of agriculture and allied disciplines, including animal and veterinary sciences, entomology, plant sciences, forestry, aquaculture and fisheries, farming and farming systems, agricultural economics, extension and education, food and human nutrition, agricultural engineering and technology and earth and environmental sciences.
Service Provider: EBSCOhost
Description: Subject index to significant articles, news items, and editorials from English language military and aeronautical periodicals.
Index contains citations since 1988 and is updated continuously.
This web site provides Searching and Browsing utilities to assist users in locating articles, news items, and editorials contained in the index.
Service Provider: Defense Technical Information Center, U.S. Department of Defense
Description: This database focuses on the many perspectives of complementary, holistic and integrated approaches to health care and wellness.
It offers access to full text articles from more than 180 international, often peer-reviewed journals and reports. In addition, there are hundreds of pamphlets, booklets, special reports, original research and book excerpts.
Service Provider: EBSCOhost
Description: Collection of more than 1200 streaming video clips and full programs. The database includes 37 of Shakespeare’s plays produced by BBC as well as additional films in history, social sciences, literature, fine arts, and the sciences.
Service Provider: Ambrose Video Publishing
Description: Access literature covering the history and culture of the United States and Canada, from prehistory to the present, with full-text coverage for nearly 290 journals and more than 80 books, and selective indexing for journals dating back nearly 60 years.
Service Provider: EBSCOhost
Description: Provides quick access to data from the following surveys and censuses:
- American Community Survey - a nationwide survey designed to provide communities a fresh look at how they are changing.
- American Housing Survey - the most comprehensive housing survey in the United States, covering 29 Metropolitan areas and the Nation as a whole
- Annual Survey of Manufactures - provides sample estimates of statistics for commercial manufacturing establishments with paid employees
- County Business Patterns / ZIP Code Business Patterns - provide economic data by industry at various geographic levels (U.S., state, county, metro area and ZIP Code). Data are derived from the Census Bureau’s Business Register, the file of all known business establishments.
- Nonemployer Statistics - provides U.S. and sub-national data by industry for businesses without paid employees. Data originate primarily from the administrative records of other Federal agencies.
- Annual Surveys of Governments - relevant, comprehensive, uniform, and quality statistics on the characteristics and key economic activities of the nation’s nearly 90,000 state and local governments
- Census of Governments - conducted every 5 years, provides periodic and comprehensive statistics about the organization, employment, and finances of all state and local governments
- Decennial Census - collects data every 10 years about age, sex, race, housing units and more for the United States, Puerto Rico, and the Island Areas
- Economic Census - profiles the U.S. economy every 5 years, from the national to the local level and by detailed industry and business classification
- Survey of Business Owners - presents statistics every 5 years at the national to local area level by industry and by gender, ethnicity, race, and veteran status of the business owner
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Tabulation - publishes estimates from the American Community Survey of the race, ethnicity, and sex composition of the workforce by occupation and geography.
- Population Estimates Program - publishes estimated population totals for the previous year for cities and towns, metropolitan areas, counties, and states.
Service Provider: U.S. Census Bureau
Description: a unique resource that makes available, for the first time, many rare and significant documents from the Edward E. Ayer Collection at the Newberry Library, Chicago; one of the strongest archival collections on American Indian history in the world.
Explore manuscripts, artwork and rare printed books dating from the earliest contact with European settlers right up to photographs and newspapers from the mid-twentieth century. Browse through a wide range of rare and original documents from treaties, speeches and diaries, to historic maps and travel journals.
Service Provider: Adam Matthew Digital
Description: This digital record of American history and creativity provides free and open access to written and spoken words, sound recordings, still and moving images, prints, maps, and sheet music that document the American experience. These materials, from the collections of the Library of Congress and other institutions, chronicle historical events, people, places, and ideas that continue to shape America, serving the public as a resource for education and lifelong learning.
Service Provider: U.S. Library of Congress
Description: Offers portraits of more than 18,700 men and women – from all eras and walks of life – whose lives have shaped the nation. This resource is updated semi-annually with new entries and revisions of previously published entries to enhance their accuracy and currency.
Appended to each article is a descriptive bibliography, which may include mention of primary sources, the most useful published biographies, articles or monographs about specific aspects of the person’s career, and obituaries, to guide interested readers on where to look for more information. Some entries are also accompanied by an ‘online resources section’ with links to relevant materials.
Service Provider: Oxford University Press
Description: This tool provides patrons with instant access to a wide range of unique resources for genealogical and historical research. With more than 2 billion names in over 7,000 databases, Ancestry® Library Edition includes records from the United States Census; military records; court, land and probate records; vital and church records; directories; passenger lists, as well as record collections from Canada, Europe, Australia and other areas of the world. These collections are continuously expanding, with new content added every business day.
The following categories reflect how the collections within Ancestry® Library Edition are organized.
- Historical Records
- Birth, Marriage, and Death records
- Census and Voter Lists
- Immigration and Emigration records
- Military records
- Schools, Directories and Church Histories
- Tax, Criminal, Land & Wills
- Reference, Dictionaries & Almanacs
- Stories & Publications
- Stories, Memories, and Histories
- Periodicals & Magazines
- Photos & Maps
- Maps, Atlases, & Gazetteers
Service Provider: ProQuest
- Historical Records
Description: Collects, preserves, and distributes the scholarly output of Angelo State University, primarily electronic theses and dissertations.
Service Provider: Texas Digital Library
Description: Provides access to detailed archival collection descriptions, making information available about historical documents, personal papers, family histories and other archival materials held in archives throughout the world. It includes over a million descriptions of archival collections held by thousands of libraries, museums, historical societies and archives worldwide and enables researchers to learn about the contents of these collections, and contact archives to arrange a visit to examine materials or order copies.
Service Provider: OCLC Research
Description: Nonprofit resource that provides over 1.5 million digital images in the arts, architecture, humanities, and sciences with an accessible suite of software tools for teaching and research.
Service Provider: ARTstor
Description: Most extensive resource for civil engineering research and application-oriented content. Topics covered include Coastal & Ocean Engineering, Construction, Environmental, Geo-technical, Energy, Computing in Civil Engineering, Materials, Management, Transportation, and Water Resources.
Service Provider: American Society of Civil Engineers
Description: This collection provides in-depth coverage of emerging break-through technologies and practices presented at key conference around the world of technologies across all disciplines of civil engineering.
Service Provider: American Society of Civil Engineers
Description: Vast collection of industry-leading standards and technical engineering information, including the ASTM journals and symposia papers (also known as Standard Technical Publications.) The Library covers a broad range of engineering disciplines. Offers the full text of American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM) standards, technical papers, and books. Search by keyword or standard number.
Service Provider: American Society for Testing Materials
Description: Digital Library portal for researchers in Astronomy and Physics, operated by the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (SAO) under a NASA grant. The ADS maintains three bibliographic databases containing more than 10.1 million records: Astronomy and Astrophysics, Physics, and arXiv e-prints.
Full-text articles and abstracts of papers available from the ADS databases are copyrighted by the respective publishers and are subject to all applicable copyright protection under the laws of the United States and other countries.
Service Provider: Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics