Government Documents and Maps
Documents in the Spotlight
The Fed: What Is It, Anyway?
The Federal Reserve – often referred to as the Fed – is the central bank of the United States, so it provides financial services to the US government. Its other services, put very simply, are to oversee monetary and banking policies to protect consumers and stabilize prices of goods.
The Federal Reserve website has many useful resources for those researching finance and banking. It has a variety of economic publications, including working papers and the Beige Book, which is a noteworthy source for regional economic analyses.
The Federal Reserve website also has financial information for consumers on topics including credit reports, paying down credit cards, mortgage foreclosure, identity theft, and much, much more.
- United States Government Information
- Texas Government Information
- Maps, Aerial Photographs, & Satellite Images
- Statistics & Data for Topics in Government Information
- Guides to Special Topics from Government Documents
- FDsys (Federal Digital System) (GPO’s official system of record)
- Catalog of U.S. Government Publications (GPO’s online catalog)
- TRAIL: Texas Records and Information Locator
- Documents in the Spotlight (archives)
- Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP)
- More Information About Government Documents and Maps
Government Documents and Maps are part of the Reference Department of the Porter Henderson Library. The Collections are housed in a newly-remodeled corner of the Basement. The Library has been a selective depository for the Federal Depository Library Program since 1964 and a member of the Texas State Publications Depository Program since 1963. Budget cuts to the Texas State Library & Archives during the 2011 Legislative session, however, effectively ended the state publication program in July, 2011.
If you have questions regarding government publications or other government information, please contact Sarah Schmidt, Reference/Government Information Librarian, at 325-486-6527, or Sarah.Schmidt@angelo.edu