Sample Mission, Vision, and Value Statements
To establish ASU as the model for the New American University, measured not by who we exclude, but rather by who we include; pursuing research and discovery that benefits the public good; assuming major responsibility for the economic, social and cultural vitality and health and well-being of the community.
Arkansas State University educates leaders, enhances intellectual growth, and enriches lives. (ASU=e3)
Arkansas State University aspires to be an academic leader recognized for innovation and quality in teaching and learning, international standing in strategic research areas, and commitment to outreach and service to the Delta and beyond.
Arkansas State University values the following as central to our success:
- Student-Centered: We are committed to education, inquiry and service in order to meet students' changing needs. We foster lifelong learning, civic and social responsibility, leadership, and individual and career growth.
- Learning-Centered: We nurture intellectual flexibility, knowledge and skills by integrating teaching, research, assessment and learning to promote continuous improvement of our scholarly community.
- Excellence: We pursue excellence within the campus community through opportunities for achievement in teaching, research, scholarship, creative activity and service.
- Diversity: We embrace diversity in all of its dimensions realizing that mutual respect for individuality and the inclusion of all are vital for both personal and institutional success.
- Service: We support and recognize service at all levels of the university. We strive to contribute to the benefit of the university, the Delta, the state, the nation and the world.
- Integrity: We hold high standards of character and integrity as the foundations upon which the University is built.
The mission of Baylor University is to educate men and women for worldwide leadership and service by integrating academic excellence and Christian commitment within a caring community.
Buffalo State College is committed to the intellectual, personal, and professional growth of its students, faculty, and staff. The goal of the college is to inspire a lifelong passion for learning, and to empower a diverse population of students to succeed as citizens of a challenging world. Toward this goal, and in order to enhance the quality of life in Buffalo and the larger community, the college is dedicated to excellence in teaching and scholarship, cultural enrichment, and service.
Buffalo State College will be a nationally recognized leader in public higher education, known:
- For the intellectual and creative accomplishments of its faculty, staff, and students.
- As a caring academic environment where lives are transformed through education and each individual is valued.
- As an institution that serves to improve our region, our nation, and our world, one student at a time.
We, the Buffalo State College community, are committed to:
- Access to quality public higher education.
- Quality teaching and learning.
- Opportunities for individuals to realize their full potential.
- The rigors, joys, and fulfillment of intellectual discovery.
- Supportive and collegial relationships.
- Respect for diversity and individual differences.
- Service to society.
As the only urban research university in Georgia, Georgia State University offers educational opportunities for traditional and nontraditional students at both the graduate and undergraduate levels by blending the best of theoretical and applied inquiry, scholarly and professional pursuits, and scientific and artistic expression. As an urban research university with strong disciplinary-based departments and a wide array of problem-oriented interdisciplinary programs, the goal of the university is to develop, transmit, and utilize knowledge in order to provide access to quality education for diverse groups of students, to educate leaders for the State of Georgia and the nation, and to prepare citizens for lifelong learning in a global society.
Indiana State University, a doctoral research university, combines a tradition of strong undergraduate and graduate education with a focus on community and public service. We integrate teaching, research, and creative activity in an engaging, challenging, and supportive learning environment to prepare productive citizens for Indiana and the world.
- We value high standards for learning, teaching, and inquiry.
- We provide a well-rounded education that integrates professional preparation and study in the arts and sciences with co-curricular involvement.
- We demonstrate integrity through honesty, civility, and fairness.
- We embrace the diversity of individuals, ideas, and expressions.
- We foster personal growth within an environment in which every individual matters.
- We uphold the responsibility of University citizenship.
- We exercise stewardship of our global community.
Lamar university is a comprehensive public institution educating a diverse student body, preparing students for leadership and lifelong learning in a multicultural world, and enhancing the future of Southeast Texas, the state, the nation, and the world through teaching, research and creative activity, and service.
To provide a learning environment of the highest quality and integrity, Lamar University values...
- Our Students, including their curricular and extracurricular activities;
- Our Faculty and Staff, high quality employees who are committed to educating and serving our students;
- Our commitment to Diversity in ideas, people, and access;
- Our collegial environment with contemporary, functional, and pleasing facilities, a safe campus, and responsible fiscal management;
- Our bonds with Southeast Texas, the state, and nation, and the world, including our alumni and friends, through economic and educational development, research and creative activity, service and outreach.
Marshall university is a multi-campus public university providing innovative undergraduate and graduate education that contributes to the development of society and the individual. The University actively facilitates learning through the preservation, discovery, synthesis, and dissemination of knowledge.
Murray State University serves as a nationally recognized residential comprehensive university offering high-quality baccalaureate and master's degree programs. Academic programs are offered in the core areas of arts and sciences, agriculture, business, health and human services, teacher education, communications, engineering and applied technologies. Teaching, research and service excellence are core values and guiding principles that promote economic development and the well-being of the citizens of the Commonwealth of Kentucky and the region.
Murray state University places a high premium on academic outreach, collaborative relationships with alumni, the public schools, business and industry, governmental agencies and other colleges and universities at home and abroad.
Murray State University prepares graduates to function in a culturally diverse, technologically-oriented society and increasingly interdependent world. The university is committed to international education as an integral dimension of the university experience.
Murray State University emphasizes student-centered learning and educational experiences that include first-year experience, the honors program, internships, study abroad programs, service learning, research and creative projects, residential colleges and student organizations.
In sum, Murray State University fosters an exciting and challenging learning environment.
To provide an outstanding undergraduate residential education strengthened by research, graduate and professional programs, and sophisticated methods of distance delivery.
Excellence in Education - Offer a rigorous, high quality education to all students
Student Success - Place learner needs at the center of our academic and service planning, policies, and programs
Education Access - Provide all qualified students with access to higher education
Diversity - Achieve multicultural understanding as a priority of educational and civic life
Integrity - Operate with fairness, honesty, and the highest ethical standards to sustain a community of trust
Civility - Support a civil, engaging, and respectful campus climate
Environmental Sustainability - Model environmentally responsible and sustainable operations and education
Sam Houston State University is a multicultural institution whose mission is to provide excellence by continually improving quality education, scholarship, and service to it students and to appropriate regional, state, national, and internationally constituencies.
Southeast Missouri Statement University provides professional education grounded in the liberal arts and sciences and in practical experience.
The University, through teaching and scholarship, challenges students to extend their intellectual capacities, interests, and creative abilities; develop their talents; and acquire a lifelong enthusiasm for learning. Students benefit from a relevant, extensive, and thorough general education; professional and liberal arts and sciences curricula; co-curricular opportunities; and real-world experiences. By emphasizing student-centered and experiential learning, the University prepares individuals to participate responsibly in a diverse and technologically-advanced world and in this and other ways contributes to the development of the social, cultural, and economic life of the region, state and nation.
Stephen F. Austin State University is a comprehensive institution dedicated to excellence in teaching, research, scholarship, creative work, and service. Through the personal attention of our faculty and staff, we engage our students in a learner-centered environment and offer opportunities to prepare for the challenges of living in the global community.
Tarleton State University exists to provide an academically challenging educational experience through effective teaching, scholarship, research, and service enabling students to pursue truth and acquire understanding, knowledge, and skills necessary for establishing successful careers and becoming responsible citizens and leaders.
Creating a culture of excellence for our students.
Texas A&M University is dedicated to the discovery, development, communication, and application of knowledge in a wide range of academic and professional fields. Its mission of providing the highest quality undergraduate and graduate programs is inseparable from its mission of developing new understandings through research and creativity. It prepares students to assume roles in leadership, responsibility, and service to society. Texas A&M assumes as it historic trust the maintenance of freedom of inquiry and an intellectual environment nurturing the human mind and spirit. It welcomes and seeks to serve persons of all racial, ethnic, and geographic groups, women and men alike, as it addresses the needs of an increasingly diverse population and a global economy. In the twenty-first century, Texas A&M University seeks to assume a place of preeminence among public universities while respecting its history and traditions.
Texas A&M University-Commerce nurtures and educates for success through access to academic, research, and service programs of high quality.
The mission of Texas A&M University-Kingsville is to develop well-rounded leaders and critical thinkers who can solve problems in an increasingly complex, dynamic and global society. Located in South Texas, the university is a teaching, research and service institution that provides access to higher education in an ethnically and culturally diverse region of the nation. Texas A&M-Kingsville offers an extensive array of baccalaureate and master's degrees, and selected doctoral and professional degrees in an academically challenging, learner-centered and caring environment where all employees contribute to student success.
The university will be recognized as the premier university in South Texas and one of the top five universities in the state.
Texas State University-San Marcos is a public, student-centered, doctoral granting institution dedicated to excellence in serving the educational needs of the diverse population of Texas and the world beyond.
In pursuing our mission as a premier institution, we, the faculty, staff and students of Texas State University-San Marcos, are guided by a shared collection of values. Specifically, we value:
- An exceptional undergraduate experience as the heart of what we do;
- Graduate education as a means of intellectual growth and professional development;
- A diversity of people and ideas, a spirit of inclusiveness, a global perspective, and a sense of community as essential conditions for campus life;
- The cultivation of character and the modeling of honesty, integrity, compassion, fairness, respect and ethical behavior, both in the classroom and beyond;
- Engaged teaching and learning based in dialogue, student involvement and the free exchange of ideas;
- Research, scholarship and creative activity as fundamental sources of new knowledge and as expressions of the human spirit;
- A commitment to public service as a resource for personal, educational, cultural and economic development;
- Thoughtful reflection, collaboration, planning and evaluation as essential for meeting the changing needs of those we serve.
Texas Woman's University is a notable institution, primarily for women, creativity, innovation and collaboration and committed to fiscal accountability.
TWU's academic and social environment empowers students by inspiring intellectual curiosity and lifelong learning, embracing scholarship and research, developing leadership and personal responsibility, and promoting diversity and respect for all individuals.
TWU educates students to succeed as they pursue careers, research or graduate study in the liberal arts, sciences, health, education and business professions. By setting high expectations and high ideals, TWU prepares its graduates to lead personally and professionally fulfilling lives.
University of Central Missouri is a comprehensive, public university dedicated to student learning and committed to service and excellence. Through a foundation in the liberal arts, professional degree programs, personalized higher education experiences, and use of current technologies, Central Missouri prepares a diverse body of students to be lifelong learners who are proficient in their fields of study, able to adapt to a changing world and contribute to the betterment of society. UCM serves as Missouri's lead professional technology institution, and is committed to acquiring, disseminating, and utilizing technology to enhance the university's comprehensive educational mission and to enrich the lives of all Missourians.
In fulfilling its mission, University of Central Missouri:
- Admits graduates of accredited high schools based on specific admission criteria, actively recruits traditionally under-represented students, and offers a strong merit-based scholarship program to attract highly capable students
- Provides a learner-centered academic environment that challenges individuals to actively participate in the educational process and empowers the faculty to excel in teaching while engaging in scholarship, research, creative activities, and public service
- Offers an undergraduate foundation in the liberal arts, with an emphasis on integrating critical thinking, interaction, valuing, communication skills, and technological applications into the curriculum across all disciplines
- Provides pre-professional, professional, academic, and career-oriented undergraduate and graduate programs to meet the changing and technological needs of the workforce
- Provides in-service instruction for technical educators and other professionals needed to make Missouri competitive in a national and world market
- Continues its historical emphasis on preparing educators for Missouri
- Provides advanced graduate studies and research in areas of particular strength and need
- Uses assessment to improve teaching, learning, research, and all university operations
- Fosters a campus community responsive to the needs of a diverse student population, provides opportunities for global awareness, and promotes an appreciation for human diversity
- Shares human and academic resources with schools, businesses, industries, and public agencies through partnerships and outreach activities
- Serves as a cultural, artistic, and information center for the citizens of Missouri
The University of Central Missouri aspires to be a nationally recognized, comprehensive university that delivers a world-class university education by providing a small-college learning environment coupled with large-university opportunities.
Learning: Student learning and development are the primary purposes of the University of Central Missouri. All institutional services exist to support the academic mission of the institution, and student life is viewed as an important facet of the educational experience. Central Missouri faculty and staff members believe strongly in the importance of educating the whole person and preparing students for lifelong learning. UCM provides all students with a strong liberal arts and sciences foundation and strives to instill in each of them the importance of freedom of expression and inquiry. Central Missouri is committed to improving public education in Missouri and beyond.
Excellence: The University of Central Missouri sets high expectations for students and graduates and demands excellence in teaching and in delivery of services. Central Missouri promotes quality and excellence in staff and faculty members through its many professional development activities. The university promotes the development and well-being of each member of the campus community, which in turn fosters a strong commitment to the institution.
Service: "Education for Service" is Central Missouri's official motto. The UCM community promotes involvement and provides experiences that foster a lifelong commitment to service. The university believes in the importance of sharing its human and academic resources with schools, businesses, industries and public agencies through partnerships and outreach activities. Central Missouri also serves as an informational, cultural and artistic center for Missouri citizens.
Responsibility: The University of Central Missouri places a high value on being ethical in all practices, and faculty members strive to impress this value upon their students. Central Missouri strives to employ the most efficient and appropriate use of fiscal and human resources in order to provide students with a quality, affordable higher education experience. Faculty and staff members value fact-based decision making through collegial deliberation.
Adaptability: Preparing students for a global, technologically changing world requires Central Missouri faculty and staff members to be adaptive and responsive in developing and delivering programs and services. The university places a high value on the leadership shown by its faculty and staff. Central Missouri has a strong future orientation and a willingness to make long-term commitments when necessary, as well as the flexibility to respond quickly to meet regional and state needs.
Diversity: The University of Central Missouri is committed to attracting and supporting a diverse body of students, faculty and staff members. The campus strives to be responsive to the specific needs of people with physical handicaps and offers educational programs to allow all students to reach their full potential. Central Missouri encourages acceptance and respect of individuals with differing values, ideas, beliefs, abilities and life experiences. The university promotes good citizenship, a sense of civic responsibility, global awareness and an appreciation for human diversity at all levels.
Community: Through the Central Community Creed, students, faculty and staff members pledge to create a community based on the seven principles described in the Carnegie Foundation's Campus Life: In Search of Community – learning, open, just, caring, disciplined, purposeful and celebrative. Faculty and staff members strive to create and maintain effective channels of communication. The university also values the local community and engages in numerous partnerships.
The University of Miami's mission is to educate and nurture students, to create knowledge, and to provide service to our community and beyond. Committed to excellence and proud of the diversity of our University family, we strive to develop future leaders of our nation and the world.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the president and enrich the future.
The University of Northern Iowa is Iowa's only public university that is distinguished by its emphasis on undergraduate education. The University contributes to the development of students by providing a diverse, dynamic learning environment characterized by excellence in teaching. The University supports exemplary undergraduate programs founded on a strong liberal arts curriculum and offers master's and selected doctoral programs that contribute to the intellectual vitality of the academic community. The University increases knowledge and promotes student growth through scholarship and service, and shares its expertise with individuals, communities, and organizations.
The University of Northern Iowa shall be a university community that nurtures an environment of intellectual vitality. A commitment to excellence, coupled with continuous improvement, will result in UNI being recognized nationally as an innovative, dynamic, and exciting community in which to learn, teach, and work. UNI will be known for educational quality, a student-centered focus, scholarship, teacher-scholar faculty, and service beyond the campus.
The basis for the development of the plan is a set of values which are the fabric of the institution. They are the expectations that are held in common and are reflected in the goals set forth in this plan. The guiding values are:
- The UNI community values intellectual vitality, which is characterized by creativity, knowledge, curiosity, aesthetics, critical thinking, and wisdom.
- The UNI community values intellectual and academic freedom, dialogue, and the free exchange of ideas. The freedom to examine diverse and controversial ideas is essential.
- The UNI community values excellence in all of its endeavors. A continuous pursuit of quality is essential in achieving excellence.
- The UNI community values an ethical, caring, and diverse community which is characterized by honesty, integrity, respect, fairness, empathy, equal opportunity, trust, and civility.
- The UNI community values individual well-being, which is characterized by the development and health of the body, mind, and spirit.
As the state's flagship comprehensive research institution, UT Knoxville's primary purpose is to move forward the frontiers of human knowledge and enrich and elevate society. The mission of the University of Tennessee is to:
- Advance the community of learning by engaging in scientific research, humanistic scholarship, and artistic creation;
- Provide a high quality educational experience to undergraduate students in a diverse learning environment--promoting the values and institutions of democracy that prepare students to lead lives of personal integrity and civic responsibility in a global society;
- Prepare the next generations of skilled and ethical professionals by providing excellent graduate and professional education that prepares graduates to compete in a diverse world market;
- Promote a campus environment that welcomes and honors women and men of all races,creeds, and cultures and an atmosphere that values intellectual curiosity,pursuit of knowledge, and academic freedom and integrity;
- Conduct research,teaching, and outreach to improve human and animal medicine and health;
- Contribute to improving the quality of life, increasing agricultural productivity,protecting the environment, promoting the well-being of families, and conserving natural resources;
- Offer a wide variety of off-campus educational and training programs, including the use of information technologies, to individual and groups;
- Partner with communities to provide educational, technical and cultural support to increase the livability of those communities; and
- Partner with industry and government to improve the quality of the workplace and to serve as an engine for economic and cultural development.
The University of Tennessee Knoxville intends to be the preeminent public research and teaching university linking the people of Tennessee to the nation and the world.
Since 1913, Valdosta State University has been a major provider of educational services for South Georgia. The beauty and consistency of its Spanish Mission style of architecture are indicative of its dedication to serving the region's heritage while developing programs and services to enhance its future.
Within the context of the University System's mission and vision, Valdosta State University possesses the core characteristics of a regional university.
The core characteristics include:
* a commitment to excellence and responsiveness within a scope of influence defined by the needs of a specific region of the state and by particularly outstanding programs or distinctive characteristics that have a magnet effect even beyond the region;
* a campus-wide commitment to a technologically-enhanced learning community that promotes student success, sustains instructional excellence, serves a diverse and well-prepared student body, offers academic assistance, and provides learning enrichment for all students;
* a range of disciplinary and interdisciplinary academic programming at the baccalaureate and master’s levels, as well as a range of professional programs at the baccalaureate and post-baccalaureate levels, including a limited number of professionally oriented doctoral-level programs;
* a commitment to public service, continuing education, technical assistance, and economic development activities that address the needs, improve the quality of life, and raise the educational level within the university's scope of influence;
* a commitment to scholarly and creative work to enhance instructional effectiveness and to encourage faculty scholarly pursuits and a commitment to research in selected areas of institutional strength and focused on regional need.
As a regional university in South Georgia, Valdosta State cooperates with other University System institutions to ensure that the region receives the services it needs. To expand its programmatic outreach, it develops and offers programs by distance learning and at off-campus locations throughout the region. It will continue to exercise a leadership role in meeting the needs of the region, particularly in providing access to professionally oriented doctoral programs, primarily in education, and to applied research.
VSU prides itself on offering nationally accredited programs in Art, Business, Music, Nursing, Sports Medicine/Athletic Training, Speech-Language Pathology, School Psychology, Theatre, Public Administration, Social Work, and Teacher Education which have a magnet effect beyond the institution's primary setting. In its academic credit programming, VSU will place a priority on developing existing programs that aid the educational, economic, cultural, and social advancement of its region and new programs in health-related professions and public administration. The programs will continue to be supported by strong preparatory courses and majors in the humanities, sciences, and social studies. VSU also remains committed to pre-professional programs preparing its undergraduate students for medical, legal, technical, and other professional study.
In its service to students, VSU concentrates on those from the region including a large number of older, non-traditional students who live and work off campus and many who transfer from other institutions. To serve its region and to attain maximum educational benefits, the university promotes an atmosphere that attracts a diversified student body, of that a representative proportion will be minority students.
VSU promotes a successful learning experience by maintaining services for minority, disabled, veteran, international, and other students with special needs. To aid in developing the whole student, it provides counseling, health services, academic advising, special assistance, honors programs, international programs, career planning, and many co-curricular activities.
VSU is committed to providing life-long learning and to the economic and cultural development of its region. It offers various non-credit programs and services through the South Georgia Institute, College of the Arts Outreach, the Valdosta Symphony Orchestra, and other organizations. Community relations are enhanced through alumni services and VSU-TV and Radio. Community service and technical assistance are offered by faculty and staff in a variety of forms.
Research, scholarship, and creative endeavors exist primarily to meet the regional needs of schools, businesses, and other organizations and to promote faculty development and instructional improvement.
VSU aspires to improve continuously the quality and effectiveness of its programs, scholarship, and student services. Assessment of programs, the raising of standards, and the refinement of learning technologies will improve the university. To aid in obtaining this objective, institutional research and planning, external funding, and collaborative relationships with other institutions will be promoted. To a great extent, VSU will continue to develop as a regional university serving its South Georgia constituency by implementing programs that meet student needs and providing the maximum opportunity for faculty development.
Weber State University offers associate, baccalaureate and master degree programs in a broad variety of liberal arts, sciences, technical and professional fields. The university provides excellent educational experiences for its students through extensive personal contact among faculty, staff and students in and out of the classroom. To accomplish its mission, the university, in partnership with the broader community, engages in research, artistic expression, public service, economic development, and community-based learning experiences in an environment that encourages freedom of expression while valuing diversity.