Athletic Training M.A.T.
Master of Athletic Training (M.A.T.)
Angelo State University is seeking accreditation through the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE). Once the program is accredited, graduates will be eligible for the Board of Certification (BOC) examination.
*Athletic training is recognized by the American Medical Association (AMA) as a healthcare profession.
*This definition is approved by the Inter-Agency Terminology Work Group and the Athletic Trainer Strategic Alliance, January 2017.
Our faculty members have the experience to prepare you to be a member of a healthcare team. As a part of the healthcare team, services provided by athletic trainers include injury and illness prevention, wellness promotion and education, emergent care, examination and clinical diagnosis, therapeutic intervention, and rehabilitation of injuries and medical conditions.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that career opportunities for athletic trainers are expected to increase by 16% through 2028, adding thousands of new jobs.
Student Learning Outcomes
- To prepare athletic training students to meet the educational competencies and clinical proficiencies necessary to be eligible for the Board of Certification exam.
- To develop athletic training professionals who abide by high professional and personal ethical standards, which will contribute in a positive manner to the continued development of the profession of athletic training.
- To develop professionals who value education and recognize the importance of lifelong learning through participating in professional research, continuing education activities, evidence-based clinical practice, and involvement in professional memberships and organizations.
- To provide a research experience for the students to create graduates who can conduct research and also be consumers of published research.
- To expose each student to a variety of employment opportunities through clinical experiences in collegiate, clinical, high school and general medical settings.
- <div class="wide-block quote-block "><div class="quote-block__image"><picture> <source type="image/webp" srcset="/live/image/gid/315/width/580/height/430/crop/1/src_region/0,79,2708,2787/46512_IMG_0917.rev.1621624262.webp 1x"/> <source type="image/jpeg" srcset="/live/image/gid/315/width/580/height/430/crop/1/src_region/0,79,2708,2787/46512_IMG_0917.rev.1621624262.JPG 1x"/> <img src="/live/image/gid/315/width/580/height/430/crop/1/src_region/0,79,2708,2787/46512_IMG_0917.rev.1621624262.JPG" alt="Student and professor wearing caps and gowns smiling before graduation ceremony." loading="lazy"/> </picture> </div><div class="quote-block__content"><div class="quote-block__quote"><blockquote><p> “I’ve been lucky enough to have Chelsea Procter-Willman and Kristi White as my professors over the past four years at ASU! As soon as I was introduced to their classes, I knew I belonged here.”</p></blockquote></div><div class="quote-block__caption"><p><strong>Breyle Sauseda</strong>, Health Science Professions, Class of 2021</p></div></div></div>