Family Nurse Practitioner Certificate Application
Application Deadline for Fall Admission: July 30
Application Deadline for Spring Admission: December 1
Starting Your Application
- Complete your ASU Graduate Application
- Applicants must be accepted into the College of Graduate Studies and Research, ASU Graduate Application. You will be assigned an Angelo State University ID when you create a College of Graduate Studies and Research Application. Input this ID number into the “Additional Information” section of NursingCAS. Note there is a $40 fee to submit your ASU Graduate Application.
- Applicants must complete the NursingCAS application. Visit www.nursingcas.org and click “Apply” to initiate your application. And click on “Create Account” and complete the required fields in order to start your application. NursingCAS is the online, centralized application service for nursing schools. You can use NursingCAS to apply to Angelo State University and other participating schools.
- Insert your RN License data into the “Professional Experience” section of NursingCAS.
- In the “References” section of NursingCAS input the information of three individuals who can provide a professional letter of recommendation on your behalf. This will allow your reference writers to submit a recommendation electronically on your behalf via NursingCAS.
- Complete a personal statement describing (a) why you are choosing to become a Family Nurse Practitioner or Nurse Educator, (b) your plans upon completing the graduate program, (c) how your current work experience will enhance your graduate school experience, and (d) how you plan to manager your time due to the demand’s of the program, work, and/or family life (less than 800 words).
- All official transcripts must be mailed from each issuing institution’s registrar’s office directly to NursingCAS. In order to expedite the processing be sure to include the Transcript Request Form. NursingCAS processes your transcripts on behalf of school. NursingCAS cannot process transcripts stamped with “Issued to Student”. Request transcripts to be sent as soon as possible. Mailing Address: NursingCAS, P.O. Box 9201, Watertown, MA 02471
- In the “Designations” section of NursingCAS you will select Angelo State University’s programs to apply to and will be required to submit the NursingCAS fee prior to electronic submission. If ASU is the first graduate level program you are applying to via NursingCAS you will be charged $70 and if it’s an additional program you are applying to via NursingCAS then you will be charged $40.
Prior to their first clinical course, graduate students must have the following on file in the nursing office:
- Current CPR (professional level) certification
- Evidence of meeting state-mandated immunization requirements
- COIVD-19 acknowledge and consent (signed)
- Proof of current health insurance
* Overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 or higher on a 4.00 scale.
Note: All applicants are required to complete the “Coursework” section of NursingCAS. Be sure to have a copy of your transcript(s) in hand in order to complete this section. All college level course work (including in-progress course work) must be entered into the application in this section. There is a short, instructional video posted here on how to accurately complete this section. And detailed instructions are posted here. This will be the most time-consuming aspect of the application process.
If you would rather have NursingCAS staff enter in your coursework data on your behalf then you have the option of paying an additional fee to use the Coursework Entry Service. Click here to learn more about the service. The data entered into this section is used to calculate GPAs in order to make admissions decisions. Learn more here.
To have a more complete application, please include the following information:
- Work Experience
- Professional Nursing Organization Memberships
- Volunteer/Missionary work
- Certifications (BLS, ACLS, PALS, CCRN, etc)
Monitor the Status of your Application:
The “My Messages” section of the NursingCAS application will include any messages that NursingCAS or a school has sent to you. Please check your “My Messages” to see if you have received any vital information about your application. Messages will be sent to the “My Messages” inbox and your personal email address that you created your account with.
Use the “Quick Status Menu” options to check to see your Transcript(s), Reference(s), or Payment(s) have been received after you submit them. To check to see which Designations you have selected (in other words programs you have applied to) by clicking on the Designations option under the Quick Status menu. The GPA Calculations option under the Quick Status menu will display any GPA calculations NursingCAS has generated for you based on the coursework data you entered. Your application has been “verified” once your GPA Calculations are complete. Learn more about “verification”.
For questions regarding the NursingCAS application please contact NursingCAS support via phone at 617-612-2880 Monday – Thursday 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. Eastern Time and Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Eastern Time and via email at email@example.com. Or post questions to NursingCAS by following their Twitter and/or Facebook accounts. Detailed instructions and FAQs are available too. Instructional videos are posted on the NursingCAS YouTube channel.