About the Program
- Take advantage of our diverse program that offers gender-related classes in communication, education, English, history, nursing, philosophy, political science, psychology, social work and sociology.
- Participate in our annual celebrations of Women’s Equality Day, Women’s History Month and other important dates. We also sponsor a gender studies film festival and take an annual spring field trip to the Gender Studies Conference at Texas Tech University.
- Join one or more of our gender-related student organizations for networking, professional development and social events.
A minor in gender studies is an excellent complement to majors in communication, psychology, sociology, social work, English, history, criminal justice, business and others.
Plus, our campus Gender Studies Committee is committed to making sure our program continually adapts to stay contemporary and relevant.
We have a tradition of excellence at ASU, and our experienced and caring faculty members take great pride in helping you achieve your academic and professional goals. Plus, our small class sizes mean you get the individual attention you deserve.
Our gender studies program is designed to prepare you for careers in diverse workplaces or to advance to graduate school studies in gender-related areas.
This 18 credit-hour minor includes sophomore and advanced course options from across multiple disciplines and has one required course:
GST 2301: (3 sch) Introduction to Gender Studies
Introductory survey of concepts and theories central to the study of gender and sexuality.
You will also select five additional courses from the following:
- Communications 4312 - Gender and Communication
- Early Childhood Development 2305 - Socio-Cultural Influences on Child Development
- Educational Psychology 3303 - Child and Adolescent Development
- English 4337 - Women’s Literature
- History 3347 - Culture, Gender, and Reform in 19th Century America
- Nursing 4338 - Women’s Health Care
- Philosophy 4333 - Contemporary Political Theory
- Political Science 4333 - Contemporary Political Theory
- Psychology 4329 - Evolutionary Psychology
- Social Work 4321 - Social Work and Domestic Violence
- Social Work 4327 - Social Work and Human Sexuality
- Sociology 3315 - The Family
- Gender Studies-related USTD and other special topics courses