Physical Therapy D.P.T. Admission
Admission into the physical therapy degree program will be limited to 28 students per year. Applicants interested in pursuing the degree must successfully pass through a two-stage process.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale.
- Score at least 58.45 points using the formula: (Prerequisite GPA
x .4) + (Overall GPA x .3) + (GRE Verbal + Quantitative x .2)
+(Analytical writing GRE x .1).
- Minimum overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 on a 4.00
scale on prerequisites below. Your last grade attained will be used
for repeat prerequisite courses to calculate the prerequisite GPA.
- Minimum 50 volunteer/employment observation hours (at least two different settings). The 50-hour total may be completed at the
SAME clinical site if a variety of patient/client mix is available. Documentation of hours, days, time, and type of clients observed must be provided and signed by a licensed physical therapist (include the physical therapist’s license number in the documentation). This documentation will be submitted to PTCAS.
- Three recommendation forms (two physical therapy/health-related and an academic or supervisor) and submitted electronically through PTCAS.
- Essay (500 words or less).
- Report all prerequisite courses to PTCAS.
- Minimum GRE of 280 (verbal and quantitative).
Physical Therapy applicants must pass through a two-stage admission process. For a detailed view of each stage, please use the links below:
Note: All application materials and transcripts should be sent to PTCAS.
After submitting your application, you will be assigned a Campus ID (CID). A College of Graduate Studies Fee of $40 for domestic or $50 for international students will be required to process the application.
|Discipline||Credit Hours||General Course||ASU Course Number|
|Anatomy||4||Human Anatomy||BIO 2323/2123 (includes lab)|
|Physiology||4||Human Physiology||BIO 2324/2124 (includes lab)|
Science course (with lab) *
|4||General Physiology or Microbiology or Pathogenic Microbiology or Immunology or Histology or Developmental Biology||BIO 4423 or BIO 3411 or BIO 3412 or BIO 3413 or BIO 3421 or BIO 4421|
|Chemistry||8||General Chemistry||CHEM 1311/1111 and CHEM 1312/1112 (includes labs)|
||3-6||Algebra or better||MATH 1314 (or 2313) (ie, calculus, etc)|
|Physics||8||General Physics||PHYS 1301/1101 and PHYS 1302/1102 (includes labs)|
|Technical Writing**||2-3||Advanced Technical Writing||ENGL 3351|
General Psychology and Developmental Psychology or Abnormal or
PSY 2301 and PSY 2304 or PSY 4305 or PSY 4313
|Statistics||3-4||Statistics or Introduction to Biometry or Intermediate Statistics and Research Methods||
MATH 3321 or BIOL 4480 or PSY 3321
|Medical Terminology||1-3||Medical Terminology||BIOL 2320, or HSP 2320, or universalclass.com, or other online courses accepted|
Students may prepare for admission to the ASU Physical Therapy program by completing a U.S. baccalaureate degree (or equivalent) from any undergraduate degree plan and include the prerequisite courses listed above. Majors in all fields are given equal consideration.
* 8 total hours in anatomy and physiology required and 4-hour upper-level science; prefer General Physiology, but other ASU courses listed accepted.
** Or evidence of intensive writing course or a score of 4.5 or better on the GRE Analytical Writing. Freshman and sophomore level composition courses are not accepted as substitute.
These deadlines are for application only. Regular Deadline: Sept. 15 completed status in PTCAS