Physical Therapy D.P.T. Admission
Requirements are sent to PTCAS
- GRE (ASU Code is 7163)
- All college and university transcripts
- Criminal background check - not until accepted/before matriculation
Physical Therapy applicants must pass through a two-stage admission process:
All application materials, transcripts should be sent to PTCAS.
You will be assigned a Campus ID (CID) after you have submitted your application. A College of Graduate Studies Fee of $40 for domestic students or $50 for international students will be required to process the application.
Doctor of Physical Therapy Program Requirements
Applicants may contact the program for a transcript review for determination as to whether a course meets the prerequisite requirement.
A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale must be earned on the prerequisites listed below. Last grade attained will be used for repeat prerequisite courses. Grades lower than “C” will not be accepted. Prerequisite courses older than 10 years will not be accepted.
Course Prerequisites Discipline Credit Hours General Course Description ASU Course Number Anatomy 4 Human Anatomy (or A&P I) BIO 2323/2123 (includes lab) Physiology 4 Human Physiology (or A&P II) BIO 2324/2124 (includes lab) Upper Division Science 4 General Physiology or Microbiology orPathogenic Microbiology or Immunology orHistology or Developmental Biology BIO 4423 or BIO 3411 or BIO 3412 or BIO 3413 or BIO 3421 or BIO 4421 (includes lab) Chemistry 8 General Chemistry CHEM 1311/1111 and CHEM 1312/1112 (includes labs) Physics 8 General Physics PHYS 1301/1101 and PHYS 1302/1102 (includes labs) Psychology 6 General Psychology and Development Psychology or Abnormal or Behavioral Neuroscience
PSY 2301 and PSY 2304 orPSY 4305 or PSY 4313
Statistics 3-4 Statistical Techniques for Health Professionals or Statistics or Introduction to Biometry or Inter. Statistics and Research Methods NUR 4337 (preferred) or MATH 3321 or BIO 4480 or PSY 3321 Math
3-6 College Algebra or better MATH 1314 or MATH 2312 or better Technical Writing* 3 Technical Writing (General composition does not count) ENG 3351 Medical Terminology 1-3 Medical terms, symbols and abbreviations BIO 2320, Online courses also accepted
* Or evidence of intensive writing course (please contact department for evaluation on whether course is deemed “writing intensive” by college) or minimum 4.5 score on GRE Analytical Writing. Freshman and Sophomore-level composition courses not accepted.
- Bachelor’s degree (Biology major or minor recommended) with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on 4.0 scale.
- Minimum of 50 volunteer/employment observation hours (at least two different settings, e.g. water therapy and pediatrics). A volunteer hours recording form is available on the D.P.T. website, but is not required. Any form turned in must have signature and license number of the supervising PT.
Other Application Deadlines:
For more information about Application Deadlines, please visit the DPT Physical Therapy Admission page.