Social Work M.S.W. Field Education
You will be responsible to research, locate and initiate your site/placement, but will be supported in this process by our M.S.W. Field Director.
- All Advanced Standing students will be required to complete 500 hours of Field Education taking place over the spring and summer semesters during your one-year degree plan.
- All Traditional Track students have a two-year degree plan; this includes summer semesters. Students will be required to complete 900 hours of Field Education. In the summer of the first year, Traditional Track students will complete 200 hours and 700 hours starting in their second year.
- All Advanced Standing and Traditional Track students are required to attend the mandatory Field Education Orientation training, either in person or online. Contact the field director more information.
- No students will be allowed to graduate from the program if the Field Education hours are not completed satisfactorily.
Professional Liability Insurance
Students who have been accepted into Field Education must provide evidence of professional liability insurance to the Field Education Director, at the 1 million/3 million level, coverage prior to beginning their field education experience.
Field Education students who do not purchase malpractice insurance will not be allowed to meet with any clients or complete their field education.
Professional Liability Insurance Options Available:
- NASW Student Liability Insurance (if you are not an NASW member insert N/A in the Member ID field)
- American Professional Agency Inc.
- Health Providers Service Organization (HPSO)
The Department of Social Work and Sociology began using InPlace in Fall 2021. InPlace is an internship management platform. Students and Agency Field Instructors will use InPlace for applications, time sheets, weekly supervision logs, evaluations, and so forth.
Thank you for considering a partnership with the Angelo State University Department of Social Work and Sociology.
Through agency experiences and supervision, students have the opportunity to learn and become socialized into the profession.
As a new field placement, you will need the following: an affiliate agreement between the agency and university. Field Instructors should have an M.S.W. degree from a CSWE-accredited program and 2 years post-graduation experience in social work to supervise the students; field instructor should be with the agency for a minimum of 6 months; space for the students as well as any applicable equipment; and ensure that the supervisor can meet with the students for 1 hour every week during their placement.
All Advanced Standing students will be required to complete 500 hours of Field Education taking place over the spring and summer semesters during a one-year degree plan.
All Traditional Track students have a two-year degree plan and will be required to complete 900 hours of Field Education. In the summer of the first year, Traditional Track students will complete 200 hours and 700 hours during their second year.
The first step in the affiliation process is to complete an interest form; the link to the form is below. Once the form is complete further instruction will be provided.