- Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty Educational Assistance Program
- Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation
- Chapter 33: Post-9/11 GI Bill
- Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program
- Hazlewood Act (State of Texas benefit)
Note: The application instructions outlined in this website are specific to veterans planning to enroll at Angelo State University.
A number of benefits are available to the children and spouses of veterans and active military service members.
Chapter 33: Post-9/11 GI Bill – Transfer of Entitlement
All or some benefits of the Post-9/11 GI Bill can be transferred to your spouse or dependent children. Eligibility requirements may vary.
Chapter 35: Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) Program
The DEA program is for eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or of veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.
Dependents may receive up to 45 months of education benefits.
My Career Advancement Account
The My Career Advancement Account Scholarship assists military spouses in furthering their education. The scholarship can be used to pursue licenses, certificates, certifications or associate degrees. Eligible spouses can receive up to $4,000 in tuition assistance.
Please visit the Texas Veterans Commission website for up-to-date information regarding Hazelwood eligibility criteria and pending changes to legislation.
Yellow Ribbon Program
The Yellow Ribbon Program is an agreement between ASU and the VA to provide assistance for veterans, service members and their dependents using the Post-9/11 GI Bill who do not qualify for in-state (resident) tuition rates.
- Be eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill at the100 percent rate (both veterans and dependents using transferred benefits).
- Be an enrolled student who is not eligible for in-state tuition rates.
- NOT be an active duty service member OR the spouse of an active duty service member.
How to Request Funding
Funds are limited and are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. To request funds, you must:
- Have a complete file in the VETS Center determining your eligibility for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
- Be enrolled for one or more upcoming terms at Angelo State.
- Complete and submit a Request for Participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program prior to the payment deadline for the semester.
ASU’s Yellow Ribbon agreement provides the following funds:
- Undergraduate Students: $4,000 per year
- Graduate Students: $2,000 per year
We accept the first five requests for each level per year. These funds are matched by the VA and applied directly to the cost of out-of-state tuition and fees.
Note: Yellow Ribbon funds do not typically cover all tuition and fee charges. Participants should expect to pay at least a portion of their tuition and fees each year.
Unsure what benefit to use?
Students receiving VA educational benefits may also be eligible for a housing allowance and book stipend.
Tutoring Assistance Program
Tutoring is available through the VA to help you further your education.
ASU accepts transfer credits from regionally accredited colleges and universities.