The DANTES Subject Standardized Test (DSST) is a range of tests that makes it possible to earn college credit by achieving qualifying scores on one or more exams.
The DSST Credit-by-Exam Program gives students the opportunity to get college credit for learning acquired outside the traditional classroom. The same DSST subject can only be taken once every 30 days.
Cost and Eligibility for Free Testing
If you meet the eligibility requirements below, you may qualify to register for the exam at no cost:
- Active duty military: Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Coast Guard (Active/Reserve) and National Guard and Reserve
- Civilian Spouses of: Coast Guard (active and reserve)
- Civilian employees of: Coast Guard (active and reserve)
- DoD Civilian Employees of: Air Force (excludes contract employees)
Exam fees for the first attempt at any DSST title are covered by DANTES for eligible military service members. Service members are responsible for funding a retest of any DSST exam title if they do not receive a passing score.
For more information about eligibility requirements, reference the DSST Funding Guide.
Register for a time to take the test through the ASU Testing Schedule webpage. You are not required to register through the DSST webpage.
ASU students need to also have a Dean’s Approval Form for DSST Examinations signed by the dean of their major academic college. The Dean’s Approval Form will be submitted to the Testing Center during check-in on your scheduled exam date/time.
DSST Exams are administered on the following days:
- Wednesday between 0800 and 1200
- Thursdays between 1600 and 1800
- First Saturday of every month between 0800 and 1000
Please check the Testing Schedule for more information on availability.