Skip to Main content

Accidents and Incidents

Regardless of the efforts taken to provide a safe environment for the campus community, accidents will inevitably occur. Please refer to the following guidelines for necessary actions to take in the event of an accident or incident.

Slips, Trips and Falls

Severe Injuries

Victim Assistance

Auto Accidents involving University Vehicles

Vehicle Accident Checklist

The ASU EHSRM Office is responsible for receiving and processing reports for all motor vehicle collision claims as outlined in Operating Policies OP 36.03 University Vehicles. All collisions must be reported to your supervisor immediately. Auto liability coverage is provided under the Texas Tech University System Auto Liability Plan

If the collision occurs on campus, ASU Police shall be notified. It is the responsibility of the department to which the university vehicle is assigned to complete a Vehicle Accident Investigation Form and forward it immediately to the ESHRM Office. If there were accident witnesses, please have them complete the vehicle accident witness statement

A collision off-campus, whether in or out of the state of Texas, should be reported to the law enforcement agency having jurisdiction. It is the driver’s responsibility to notify ASU EHRSM immediately and provide that office a copy of the collision information as soon as possible. The department must also complete a Vehicle Accident Investigation Form and forward it to ASU EHSRM. If there were accident witnesses, please have them complete the vehicle accident witness statement

Employee or Student Accident/Incident Reports & Notifications

Faculty are encouraged to review the Classroom Medical Emergency Procedures that have been developed to help prepare them for how to react to accidents or incidents that may occur in the classroom.

For questions regarding medical treatment for work-related injuries, or worker’s compensation, please refer to the Human Resources Workers’ Compensation web page.

Claims Procedures

All inquiries or requests for payment or reimbursement of expenses related to claims or settlements should be referred to the Office of Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management. Any accident or incident resulting in an injury or damage to the university’s or another person’s property should be reported as soon as possible by emailing or calling 325-942-2180.

All necessary actions should be taken to make the scene safe but do not remove any objects or clean the area until notified by University Police or the Office of Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management. This is necessary to allow for the scene to be photographed and investigated.