Keeping Track of Expenses
Please be aware that you must keep close documentation to be reimbursed for travel expenses. Although receipts may not always be required, it is always a good idea to keep every receipt you get, just in case questions arise when processing your paperwork. According to Textravel, documentation must be maintained in agency files for the current year in which the document is processed and three subsequent years (current year+3).
Receipts are required for reimbursement purposes for the items listed below. While this is not an all-inclusive list, it covers the most common expenses incurred while on business travel.
Airfare: Passenger receipt must include all of the following information:
- Name of the Employee and Airline
- Ticket number
- Class of transportation
- Travel dates
- Cost of airfare
- Origin and destination of each flight
Lodging: Original itemized receipt must include:
- Name and address of the commercial lodging establishment
- Lodger’s name
- Single room rate
- Daily itemization of lodging charges
- Proof of payment
Rental Vehicle: Original itemized receipt must include:
- Name of the rental company
- Renter’s name
- Start and end dates of the rental
- Itemization of expenses incurred
- Gasoline (Not required when mileage is being claimed)
- Registration Fees
- Copies made for business purposes
Documentation is required for reimbursement purposes for the items listed below. While this is not an all-inclusive list, it covers the most common expenses incurred while on business travel.
- Taxis, shuttles, buses and other public transportation: If receipts are not available, fares/expenses must be itemized by date and trip/destination.
- Baggage Fees
- Parking and tolls: If receipts are not available, expenses must be itemized by date and location.
- Internet service fees: Traveler must document business purpose for this expense.
- Extra bags fees: Fees are covered if the traveler is checking more than one bag that relates to the purpose of the business trip.
- Mileage calculation: Traveler should use Google Maps feature in Chrome River.
- GPS service fee: Local funds only – justification for the additional service will be needed.
Please document any other expenses or unusual circumstances as accurately as possible.