The President is responsible for providing transformative leadership, focus and strategic vision for Angelo State University (ASU) in collaboration with the Chancellor and Board of Regents of the Texas Tech University System (TTU System).
The President is the chief executive officer of ASU and is responsible for the executive management of its operations. The President provides overall leadership in the planning and management of the academic, research, service, fiscal, administrative and operational missions of ASU.
The President consistently lives out the Mission, Vision and Values of ASU.
Learn more about the hiring process, ASU and the Presidential role through the entire Search Criteria and Position Prospectus.
Education, Experience & Qualifications
ASU seeks an innovative and visionary leader with the following:
- Earned doctorate or equivalent terminal professional degree.
- Extensive professional, administrative and public experience, including experience relating to higher education administration or a university college.
- Demonstrated exceptional leadership skills and integrity in an academic and research and/or service environment.
- An exemplary record of scholarly, professional and individual credentials.
- An established record of forward-thinking vision and innovation with proven significant results.
- A commitment to applied research, diversity and interprofessional collaboration.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the President include the following:
- Develops, administers and coordinates all operations and programs of the institution.
- Establishes a clear vision for the institution and identifies appropriate strategic objectives, priorities and the means to successfully achieve goals.
- Serves as an academic leader for ASU, with support from the university’s provost, to ensure that ASU provides a high-quality educational curriculum and talented faculty for the benefit of its students and teaching mission.
- Develops and implements plans and policies to ensure that ASU remains in compliance with any accreditation requirements appropriate to the university.
- Provides leadership in elevating ASU’s research enterprise while maintaining excellence in teaching and advancing creative scholarship.
- Champions innovative student learning and student success across the academic enterprise and university experience.
- Actively works to ensure that the institution acquires the necessary public and private resources for successful achievement of ASU’s goals and objectives.
- Engages in fundraising activities that increase the ASU’s endowment and address the needs of all ASU’s colleges and programs.
- Understands the importance of and provides proper oversight of ASU’s intercollegiate athletic programs and Department of Athletics to ensure compliance and the highest standards of the National Collegiate Athletic Association and the athletic conference of which ASU is a member.
- Works closely and fosters relationships with internal and external stakeholders, community leaders, and military and regional partners.
- Understands the importance of the governmental process and possesses the skills to ensure that legislative goals on the local, state and federal levels are identified and met.
- Fosters diversity and inclusion through a commitment to a diverse student body, faculty and staff, and encourages cultural diversity throughout the institution’s curriculum, activities and community involvement.
- Carry out other leadership duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Board and the Chancellor.
Desired Leadership Attributes
Traits and abilities that are key to the success of the President:
- Individual with unquestioned integrity, high energy, and demonstrated leadership and administrative abilities who can shape, articulate and implement the dynamic mission of ASU.
- Individual who understands, embraces and can represent the unique and ideal culture of the ASU and San Angelo community.
- Compelling and energetic personality with a demonstrated history of strategizing, charting a vision, engaging multiple stakeholders, setting appropriate and reasonable fundraising goals, and meeting those objectives, with personal integrity and sound financial management.
- Significant understanding of the public higher education landscape and its future challenges and opportunities, including but not limited to online education and curriculum delivery.
- Possesses an outstanding reputation for executive-level management with documented ability to administer and coordinate all operations and programs of the institution and to lead and manage change and growth.
- Merits broad-based respect to inspire institutional accountability, efficiency, fiscal responsibility, and the ethical and effective performance of all leaders and divisions of ASU.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively to ensure efficient operations throughout the organization while fostering growth in enrollment, supporting quality research, creative and scholarly productivity, and upholding high academic standards.
- Successful record leading a financially complex institution to ensure proper administration of the financial affairs of ASU.
- Understanding of the workings of a large university system, along with knowledge of and/or experience with the business operations of large and comprehensive organizations.
The intent of this job advertisement is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
As an EEO/AA/Vet/Disability employer, the Texas Tech University System and its components will not discriminate in its employment practices based on an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran.