Building on Angelo State’s established legacy of graduating high-quality teachers, the Texas 2-Step certification program focuses on assisting paraprofessionals reach their goal of becoming a classroom teacher.
What is the Texas 2-Step?
The Texas 2-Step program is a partnership between Howard College and Angelo State University to provide paraprofessionals with the foundational coursework and intensive field experience to become a classroom-ready teacher, with coursework delivered 100% online.
This happens in two steps:
- Completion of 60 semester credit hours (SCH) of coursework, leading to an Associate of Arts in Teaching (A.A.T.) degree from Howard College, and then a seamless transition to ASU.
- Completion of the remaining 60 SCH of coursework and field experiences, leading to a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Interdisciplinary Studies - Early Childhood to Grade 6 Generalist with Teacher Certification degree from Angelo State University.
Not a paraprofessional but interested in learning more about earning your degree and becoming a teacher?
Visit Our Program Page
Why Choose Texas 2-Step?
- You can maintain employment at your ISD and complete required coursework from Howard and ASU completely online.
- You are provided individualized transcript review and advising to assist in your degree planning.
- You receive structured support and mentorship from ISD and university personnel.
- You could be eligible for financial assistance through a variety of sources.
- You have access to specialized TExES test preparation throughout the program.
- No hidden costs, long-term charges or paycheck deductions.
Ready to Get Started? Apply Now!
Complete your application.You will select Howard County Community College District.
Complete your FAFSA for 2022-23.FICE Code: 003574 – Howard College
Request official copies of your college transcript(s).Please send transcripts to:
Attn: Ashley Harper
3501 US Hwy 67
San Angelo, TX 76905
Transcripts can also be sent electronically to Ashley Harper at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you do not have any previous college work, request your official high school transcript be sent to the address above.
After we evaluate your transcripts, we will determine if you need to take the TSI Assessment. The TSI Assessment is designed to help determine your skill level in the areas of reading, writing and mathematics. It provides detailed information regarding your academic strengths and weaknesses. We will work with you on what sections of the assessment you will need to complete.
The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board has an Educational Aide Exemption that could benefit you.
Once you have completed the form, please email it to email@example.com.