Attire and Academic Honors
Each candidate is required to wear a cap, gown and tassel during the commencement ceremony. It is the responsibility of the graduate to wear appropriate academic regalia. Anyone who is not dressed properly will not be allowed to participate. Caps, gowns and tassels are available in the ASU Bookstore or may be purchased from a private store of the candidate’s choice. The deadline for student special orders will be Friday, November 15. Orders after that deadline will have to be filled from our remaining overstock.
The bookstore will be hosting a Graduation Fair October 29 from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. - 5 p.m. in the C.J. Davidson Center for convenient regalia ordering. During that time, students will be able to order all necessary regalia, invitations and diploma frames.
Alpha Chi Honor Medallions
- Candidates for bachelor’s degrees who are members of the Alpha Chi Honor Society will receive an honor medallion the day of graduation.
- There will be an Alpha Chi table in the Auxiliary Court inside the Junell Center the day of graduation where you will be able to pick up the medallion.
- If you are a member of Alpha Chi, please notify Poly Riddle in the Registrar’s Office at 325-942-2043 to ensure you receive your medallion.
Academic Honor Cords
- Honors designations for candidates at commencement are based on the institutional GPA of work completed prior to the term of graduation.
- Candidates for bachelor’s degrees who have an institutional GPA of 3.50 or higher will receive an honor cord at graduation.
- The designations for academic honors are based on Angelo State University courses (institutional GPA): 3.50–3.69 GPA – cum laude; 3.70–3.89 GPA – magna cum laude; 3.90–4.00 GPA – summa cum laude.
- The honor cord will be placed on you by the Alpha Chi sponsor after you hand your name card to the announcer.
- If you have any questions about whether you qualify to graduate with honors, please contact the dean of your college.
Other Academic Honors
Other academic honor societies may provide cords, ribbons or pins designating the achievements of their members.